Expand my Community achievements bar.

Want to use Reader Extensions for highlighting and adding comments

Former Community Member
Hi,

The basic use for which we plan to use Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions is for highlighting and adding comments.

In a J2EE application, we create PDF document at runtime using (PDFBox). The purpose to use Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions is when the end user sees the PDF created he/she should be able to add highlights and add comments to the PDF document and save it back to server.

The question is what all I need to do. Just install Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions on the server. What should be done specifically when the PDF is created using PDFBox? Add any information to the PDF so that when PDF is viewed by the user he/she can add comments or highlight.

Can I get sample application and I also need Developer Guide. I think Developer guide comes with the setup? Did not find any place where I can down load a demo setup of Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions.

Can you please guide me in the right direction? I am collecting more information as I search the internet and go through the forum, but it will be very helpful if someone can give correct information.

Thank You.

Regards,

Jay Chandran.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
I think I found the trial version. Download ToolBox from LiveCycle Developer Center? I this the one?

Download ToolBox (EXE, 555.58 MB)

And what all software components of Adobe LiveCycle need to be installed for my purpose?

Former Community Member
Hi,

I was reading Adobe Reader SDK document (Acrobat_SDK_overview.pdf), in that it is mentioned under

About rights-enabled documents:

You cannot programmatically rights-enable a PDF file.

Well I am confused, because my requirement is like this:

1. PDF is created using (PDFBox) as part in a J2EE application.

2. After the PDF has been created, from the J2EE application, the PDF will be send to LiveCycle Extensions to right enable it. (There is no user interface, and it is planned to be done programatically using Adobe libraries. The PDF will be send to LiveCycle Server and Right Enabled PDF will be returned.)

So if there is no way to "programmatically rights-enable a PDF file", how can it be done without having an web interface?

Just to confirm, PDF can be prgramatically right-enabled using LiveCycle libraries right? I have to right enable PDF files prgramatically and not using LiveCycle web interface.

Thank You.

Regards,

Jay Chandran.

Former Community Member
Jay, the document you are reading is for Acrobat. Acrobat can add a limited subset of rights to a PDF, but only via the UI, not programmatically.

LC Reader Extensions (a different product) can definately add rights to a document programmatically.

Chris

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

Thanks for you reply. I have put a similar question in http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc369f5

Could you please leave your thoughts on my approach there.

Thank You.

Regards,

Jay Chandran.

Former Community Member
Jay, I don't really have anything to add for that thread, other than you already have the best possible person looking into it for you.

Chris Trubiani

Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Thanks Chris. :) Leonard has been great help...

Former Community Member
Thanks to all but can someone explain how to use Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions to do this??