Expand my Community achievements bar.

User Restrctions

Former Community Member
I have designed a form in which I would lie to allow some of our team members and customers to change some text fields, but not others. I would like customers to be able to edit certain information on the form, but lock them out of editing other information. How do I do this?
7 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi - I'm having the same problem. I need to create a form that I can send to my customer to enter data, he will then forward the form to a 3rd party and does not want that 3rd party to alter the information he sent.

Did you receive a response on your post?

Thanks,

Lori Moore

Level 7
Add a document signature field and lock the desired form field objects.

Former Community Member
Thank you Geo...could you be a little more detailed? It sounds like you are saying I would need to add a digital signature field for every person who will receive the form and that each of these would need to specify which fields each indivaidual can and cannot alter or edit? This seems really tedious since it will go to hundreds of people.

Level 7
No, every signer would need a digital signature certificate unique to that individual and not restricted by form. Adobe has numerous documents about this and it is included in the "Help" files of Acrobat and Reader which you might want to review.

If you are going to assign special fields to each user, electronic forms may not be your best solution.

Former Community Member
Actually, I never said that I would be assigning special fields to each user. I just want our staff to be able to edit specific fields, but that when distributed externally to customers they would only be able to edit the forms we want them to be able t o edit. I am still confused, because are you saying that I would need to pre-assign all customers a digital signature so that they can fill out the areas of the form I want customers to be able to fill out, modify, respond to, or edit?

Former Community Member
My request is right along with William B's. I need a way to lock/password protect certain fields in my form, to where the 3rd party cannot alter the information (unless they have the password.)

Is there a work-around using javascript that can get a field to lock/unlock?

Digital signatures is not something my company is interested in setting up....

Former Community Member
I was able to create a password-protected field of sorts, with help from the Acrobat User Forum. You can follow my post and the steps given at:

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=13750

Hope this helps anyone else looking for the same feature!