Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

User entered email submition

Former Community Member
I was wondering if it is possible, and if it is, how to do it? I want the user of the form to be able to enter an email address, and then when they click the submit button, it sends it to the email address they entered.

Thanks in advance for any help.
10 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Alan,

Instead of using the E-mail Submit Button, use a standard button.

Add a standard button to your form and position it. Select the button.

On the Object Palette / Field Tab / Control Type Radial button select "Submit".

A new "Submit" tab will be shown.

In the Submit to URL field type "mailto:any@emailaddress.com". If you only type "mailto:" the email message will populate and you can type the email address.

If you want to send the entire PDF you must change the Submit As option to PDF as the default is XML Data Package (XDP).

I hope this helps.

Pam

Former Community Member
Hi Pam,

That does help greatly, and I might end up going that route. I am hoping though, that I can somehow pull the already entered email address from its text box, and submit to that email address.

-Alan

Former Community Member
Hi Pam,

Hope I can ask you a similar question in regards to submit buttons. I already have changed my button to a Standard Button, but now get a message of "The operation is not Permitted." How can I clean this up[ please?

Steve,

Former Community Member
Steve,

Delete the problematic button and follow the steps below:

1) Add a button (not the email submit button, just the "button")

2) Set the Control type to Submit

3) On the submit tab, add "mailto:emailaddress@domain.com" in the Submit to URL box

4) Change the submit as drop down to PDF

5) Save the form

6) Open the form in professional 8.0 (not livecycle designer)

7) Go to the Advanced option on the toolbar and select "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" which will require you to save the file again.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Pam

Former Community Member
Well, I have come close, but I think I might have hit a huge, impossible to cross road block...

I have my text field set up in which the user enters an email address. On the exit event of this field, I have my variable email set to whatever the user enters. (email.value = emailField.rawValue;)

I then have my button which is set to mailto upon a click from the user. (and works perfect if I put in an email address such as bob@somewhere.com) I replaced 'mailto:bob@somewhere.com?subject=.... with 'mailto:'+email+'?subject=.... Once I do this, which should theoretically insert whatever the user entered into the to field, I get the following error: Outlook does not recognize "[object XFAobject'".

Similarly if i go back to the normal email but set subject to '?subject='+email+... in the subject line of the email [object XFAobject] appears instead of what the user entered.

Any suggestions, or ways to fix this at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Former Community Member
Alan, have you been able to make any progress with your issue above? I'm trying to accomplish something similar and am stuck. In my case, I'm trying to customize the body of the message and in that custom message, need to include the value from a form field ... so far, I'm only getting the variable text to show up: '+Comment+'

Former Community Member
Rick, I have it working. To get Comment to change I would do the following:

I am assuming you have the variable 'Comment' declared and set to some default text.

Name the field that the user types into something (say CommentText).

Under the exit action for that field write Comment.value = CommentText.rawValue;

Finally, at the submit button click action be sure that you use Comment.value.

ex:

event.target.submitForm({cURL:'mailto:'+supEmail.value+'?subject='+subject.value+'&body='+superBody.value,cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

Hope this helps.

-Alan

Level 1

Hi Alan,

Would you be kind enough to write all the steps you took in order to have the button send an email to the email address in a text field while being able to attach the PDF to said email, and the email having a specific subject and message body?  I am try to help a colleague to the exact same thing and it'd be nice to learn it as well.

Please keep it as basic English as you can.  I don't understand scripting language very well.

Former Community Member
've got a problem somewhat in the same area. I'm creating a time off request form that a user can fill out from a network share. Once they fill out the form I want them to choose their supervisor from the drop down list and then click the submit button.

I've populated the drop down menu under 'list items' with the supervisors that the time off request form should go to.

as an exit event for the drop down box I have:

if(DropDownList2.rawValue=="Super A"

{

email.value = "SuperA@state.ma.us"

}

else if (DropDownList2.rawValue=="Super B"

As a click event for the button to submit the email as a PDF I have:

event.target.submitForm({cURL:'mailto:'+email.value

+,cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"})

But I'm not sure how to feed the 'mailto:'+email.value+ in the button

with the email.value from the drop down box.

Former Community Member
hello there, i created an email form using the above 7 steps. it works on some user's pcs, but not on others.

some get the "The operation is not Permitted" message, while for others it works great.

reader 6 vs 7 doesn't seem to make a difference, nor does the version of outlook

any ideas?

thanks in advance