Expand my Community achievements bar.

Upload / Attach File in form

Former Community Member
I'm new to the LiveCycle Designer, so please bare with me.

I need to design a form that will allow a user to link/attach files. When the user submits the form we would like the form to link to the documents like a hyperlink.

Please help the newbie.
284 Replies

Former Community Member
You need the server based software that will allow you to add a right to the form that will allow Reader to add an attachment.

Former Community Member
Even if I can preview the pdf and it works fine and allows attachments? It only seems buggy if I distribute it.

If I email the form to a user they don't have a problem with it.

Former Community Member
I have to revisit this for a possible solution. My understanding is that if our users have Adobe Pro then they should be able to attach files inside the pdf, however this does not occur.

Former Community Member
Paul,

I am also new to LCES. Would you forward me a copy of how the attachment process works.

Do you always need to have the form Reader Extended in order to have the attachement function available to users with Reader only?

My email is john.q.daily@gmail.com

Thanks,

John

Former Community Member
Paul,

I am after something similar to what was described above, specifically the ability to attach an Excel file in an Interactive PDF via a push button. Could you please forward a copy of the sample code at your earliest convenience?

My email address is lindsey.berckman@gmail.com

Thank you!

Lindsey

Former Community Member
Hi Paul,

Can you please send the samples of the attachement methods.

My E-mail: jg_on@hotmail.com

Thanks!!!

Former Community Member
Does this mean that it is possible to do the following:

1. Create an FDF that has some 'browse' fields that allow the customer to attach up to 10 files (PDF, JPG, DOC, etc.) which are then submitted with the completed FDF.

2. Using a 'submit' button on the FDF, post the FDF and customer files that they uploaded (in the FDF itself) to a URL on a website.

3. Have the website page extract the form data, write it to a database, and save any attachements to an appropriate folder. If the attached/embedded(?) files can't be saved to a folder, then have them separately emailed to a designated address.

4. Allow the customer to save the completed FDF so they have a record of exactly what they submitted.

5. Allow the customer to complete the FDF over time. E.g. spend 20mins filling out part of it today, save it, then do the rest tomorrow and submit.

Does all this sound possible?

I don't need to do this work myself (I'll get a contractor for that) I just need to know that it can be done.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Former Community Member
Yes all of that is possible but not quite the way you state it. The attachments are part of the PDF not the FDF data. So the entire PDF must be submitted. A server program would need to extract the attachments from the PDF and as a separate step extract the data from the PDF (assuming you want to separate for writing to the DB). The server program woudl then need to email as per your request above. Built into the system would be a means to allow the user to submit and save to complete later. Am interface would need to be provided to allow the user to select the previously started one that he wants to work on.

This is all possible and you will need tools to help you manipulate the PDF. There are a number of ways to do this but you may want to look at LiveCycle to help you to build such a system.

Former Community Member
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply, Paul!

Former Community Member
Paul,

It would be really great if you could also email me the javascript code (for attaching files) to the following email address:

djvmv@sky.com

Thanks,

David.

Former Community Member
Hi Star Paul, Could I also get a copy of your script? I am doing the similar pdf design work. I have been looking for help online.

Thanks a million

Former Community Member
Hi! Paul,

I saw your post about the JavaScript code that allow attachment in a pdf file. Could you please send me the code? Thanks.

isaachow@gmail.com

Isaac

Former Community Member
Hi Guys,

I am new in this! Could you please give me some advice on how to email a file but to be visible in the email itself, not as attachment.

I am looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Youlia

Former Community Member
All of the email clients that I know of do not display PDF. So I do not see how you can do this. That is why we put it in as an attachment.