Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Updating values in a document form

Level 8
Level 8
Hi all,

I have a challenge on my neck. I have a pdf, which kicks of the process and it contains attachments. I need to get hold of these attachments (or at least show them in the first step of the process).

The catch is that I do not have access to a Forms Server, so I can not use the ProcessFormSubmission-service to extract the attachments.

Hence I got the idea that I could use the input document variable and show this to the first user step in the process. This works - however if the user makes changes in some of the values they are not saved (I have tried to open the input variable after making changes in a user step and it is not changed)

So my question is whether and how it is possible to update a document variable with changes that has been made in an Assign Task-step.

Please don't hesitate to ask me to elaborate on the issue if you don't understand the question/scenario.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim
9 Replies

Level 10
"The catch is that I do not have access to a Forms Server, so I can not use the ProcessFormSubmission-service to extract the attachments."

You can also use Assebler to extract attachments from a PDF.

"however if the user makes changes in some of the values they are not saved "

Are they making changes to the main pdf or to the attachments. If the pdf submits the entire PDF then the changes should be saved.

"So my question is whether and how it is possible to update a document variable with changes that has been made in an Assign Task-step"

Make sure the submits button submits the entire pdf. That's what we have to do when we use digital signature. We use a Document Form and submit the signed document.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

Thanks a lot - this is very good news indeed...

I just have a few elaborating questions:

- Using Assembler means creating some ddx file that can do the extraction of the attachments right? (because this is unfortunately not available either at the customer site). The only licenses that are available are Barcoded Forms and Process Management.

- The users should not change the attachments - only the pdf that has been submitted.

- If I change the submission to contain the entire PDF I get a warning that this "corrupts" the autogenerated code on the _FSSUBMIT button...

- How can I use Document Forms instead of documents - I am not sure I understand the use of those fully yet. Actually you describe the precise scenario that I am facing aswell (with the signature).

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Kim

Level 10
"The only licenses that are available are Barcoded Forms and Process Management. "

Assembler is part of the foundation. If you bought Process Management, then you can use Assembler.

"If I change the submission to contain the entire PDF I get a warning that this "corrupts" the autogenerated code on the _FSSUBMIT button.."

That's I've never seen. Where do you get this message from?

"How can I use Document Forms instead of documents - I am not sure I understand the use of those fully yet. Actually you describe the precise scenario that I am facing aswell (with the signature)."

You ave to use a Document Form when you want to use a PDF and (most importantly) submit a PDF form a User step.

If you have the pdf in a "document" variable within a process you can put it in a Document Form with the following xPath /process_data/myDocForm/object/document.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

ANd once again - thanks for the clarification, I still have a lot to learn :)

"Assembler is part of the foundation. If you bought Process Management, then you can use Assembler."

Weird, I just checked the server at the customer site (currently a version 8.0 - but will get upgraded to 8.2 before the process will be installed) and there was no Assembler under Common, I have found it under common on my own development server.

"That's I've never seen. Where do you get this message from?"

I stand corrected - You are absolutely right on this one, I had made some other thing wrong that made this warning pop up.

"You ave to use a Document Form when you want to use a PDF and (most importantly) submit a PDF form a User step."

I am not sure how to use the Documént Form, should I set the /process_data/myDocForm/object/document = /process_data/myDocument and then set the "/process_data/myDocForm" as the input document (or should it be "/process_data/myDocForm/object/document") under Form Data Mapping in the Assign User step?

And what should the Output Form Data in the Assign User step be set to?

I can't seem to set it up right - I can get the User step to show the Document Form, but no changes are stored when I take one of the routes out of the User step. I think I have made the PDF submit PDF correctly, but this does not change anything.

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim

Level 10
"... should I set the /process_data/myDocForm/object/document = /process_data/myDocument and then set the "/process_data/myDocForm" as the input document (or should it be "/process_data/myDocForm/object/document") under Form Data Mapping in the Assign User step?"

Yes. Use the Document Form (/process_data/myDocForm) for the input and output data mapping on the user step. The user step will be smart enough to go and grad the pdf from the object\document property.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

This was just the information I needed. Thanks alot.

Now I can go on implementing the rest of the process.

Great work!

Sincerely

Kim

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

Just out of curiosity, are you absolutely sure that Assembler is a part of Process Management?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim

Level 10
Kim,

I've made a mistake. Assembler is not available when you only have process management.

You can see the exact list of what's available in the following document: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/8.2/solutioncomponents_services.pdf

I'm really sorry about this confusion.

Jasmin

Level 8
Level 8
Hi again Jasmin,

No problem, I was just hoping I had forgotten to install it on the server.

I will manage with the solution you outlined so nicely above.

Thanks again

Kim