Expand my Community achievements bar.

Unable to do "Commenting" on Forms created with Designer

Former Community Member
Using Designer 7.0 to create a form.

When opening the form in Acrobat Pro 7.07 Commenting Tools are disabled. In the Security Settings for the Document it states that the Security Method is None, but that Commenting is Not Allowed.

Is there any way to allow commenting/stamps on forms created with Designer?

Thank you.
4 Replies

Former Community Member
In order to use annotations on a PDF from Designer, the PDF must be saved as a static PDF, not dynamic.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
But if I have adding removing subforms it means dynamic pdf - is there nothing I can do? No possibility of comments?

Former Community Member
Is there a way to remove comments from static pdf with comments f. ex. with a button. So that one person could make comments and other one by pressing the button could remove all comments. Is it possible at all? Thanks.

Former Community Member
Hey Zofia,

I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly, but there might be a couple work-arounds. While they aren't as specific as commenting, they may work for you.

One is for the user to "print as PDF" the form. They can re-open it and use the comments editing tools, however the form will at that point be static. I'm not sure if this makes a huge difference for you, but it's worth a shot.

The second is to add a field or fields for comments at specific places in the form. This would probably work if you know in advance where and what types of comments you expect. You can either display the field upon clicking a button (add comments) or just show it automatically. I'd lean on allowing the user to select to view the comments field.

Of course, in order to have the data saved, users that enter data must either have Acobat Pro or you must have Reader Extensions in your enterprise.

I know we struggled with the "inability to make comments" until we thought of it a different way. Now we actually added several comments fields into our XSD and capture it. As long as your file is well-planned, your users probably won't even miss using the tools.

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks,

Lisa