Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

To configure an event catch attached to an operation

Level 1
hi

Using help in "Adobe LiveCycle Workbench ES" version 8.0.3187.1 I found this topic (for which I don't seem to be able to find an online equivalent) :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Creating Processes > Implementing Business Logic > Configuring events to control flow in a process > Configuring events attached to an operation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuring event catches attached to an operation

Asynchronous events and timer events can be directly attached to an operation. You cannot attach exception events to an operation, but many operation types have built-in exception events. (See Handling an exception event attached to an operation.)

When an event is directly attached to an operation, it is called an event catch and it listens for events while the operation it is attached to is running.

To configure an event catch attached to an operation:

(1) Right-click an event attached to an operation and select Event Properties. The Event Catch Configuration dialog box appears.

(2) (Optional) In the Name box, modify the name of the event.

(3) Create a filter for the event. (See Creating filters and data maps for events.)

(4) Create a data map for the event. (See Creating filters and data maps for events.)

(5) Click OK.

If I try step (1), I don't see an "Event Catch Configuration dialog box".

I was hoping to be able to combine the "FaultMessage" (which is what I think I need),

documented here http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00001140.html ,

with step (4) in the above scenario.

How can I work with an exception, so that I have the "exception message" available to do something (like log, mail, etc.)?

many thanks

Jan Vervecken
10 Replies

Level 10
Where did you get the following steps from?

The only way (that I know of) you can have an Event Catch is by dragging and dropping it from the Event view on to a process.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Not sure if you've seen this page on the Workbench help live docs

http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00000540.html

Namely, if i catch your drift, it looks like you're trying to domething like this

http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00000543.html

I'm trying to play around events myself (thanks for your help in another post Jasmin) and am just having a little trouble assigning data into variables in the Process Data Map. Unless I'm mistaken, thats what its for, right?

Level 10
Just don't forget to set your process variables as "Input".

I've looked at http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00000540.html and everything seems fine.

Once you add a event handler to an operation you get a dialogue box to configure the Event Catch. You can get it back if you right click and select Event Properties.

Jasmin

Level 1
Thanks for your reply Jasmin.

About "Where did you get the following steps from?", as I wrote in my initial post, this is a help topic I found in "Adobe LiveCycle Workbench ES" version 8.0.3187.1 by navigating in the help contents following this path:

"Creating Processes" > "Implementing Business Logic" > "Configuring events to control flow in a process" > "Configuring events attached to an operation"

Maybe there is some confusion about what exactly an "event catch" is, but the documentation I refer to above says:

"When an event is directly attached to an operation, it is called an event catch ..."

regards

Jan Vervecken

Level 1
Thanks for your reply Bilen Imam.

What you refer to is indeed what I am able to do, "Handling event catches":

http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00000543.html

But in step 3 it says "Draw a route from the event catch symbol to the step that will handle the event catch.",

and I would like to have some details about the exception, like the exception message, available in "the step that will handle the event catch".

regards

Jan Vervecken

Level 1
Thanks for your reply Jasmin.

The documentation you refer to does not seem to be very detailed about "handling exceptions" :

"Working with events"

http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00000540.html

Do you know of any documentation that describes "handling exceptions" in detail?

many thanks

Jan Vervecken

Former Community Member
There is no way to capture the exception message at run time using the event data. As far as I know, the best you can do is to determine the type of exception that was thrown.

When you draw a route from an event catch, you are prompted to select the exception that you want to cause the route to be followed.

You can draw a route for each exception that the operation throws to a different Set Value operation.

You then configure each Set Value operation to save the name of the exception that it is associated with in a string variable.

Then you can use the exception info as required, for example, use the Variable Logger to log the value of the string variable, or send an email to the process administrator, etc.

I think that you would find the exception information in the server logs, but obviously that is no good to you if you want to parse the info programmatically.

hope that helps

scott

Level 1
Thanks for your reply Scott.

You write "There is no way to capture the exception message at run time using the event data.".

Please consider the documentation for:

"Creating Processes" > "Event Type Reference" > "Exception event types" > "Exception"

at http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/es/wb_help/00001140.html

This documentation refers to a FaultName, a FaultSource and a FaultMessage as event data.

Do you know what that means and how these could be used?

You also write "As far as I know, the best you can do is to determine the type of exception that was thrown.".

Do you agree that only "the type of exception" would not be very informative in a log or e-mail about what went wrong? Typically the most interresting information about an exception is in the exception message or even in the causing exception.

About "... you would find the exception information in the server logs ...", yes, but from my experience only when there is no fault route for the exception from an event catch.

So, it seems to be kind of "contradictory" (mutually exclusive):

(1) or no fault route, and exception details in the log but no e-mail notification possible

(2) or a fault route, but no exception details available (not even in the logs) but e-mail notification (without details) possible

regards

Jan Vervecken

Former Community Member
Jan,

I've been playing around with this as well, and what I've done may be of some use to you. We are having terrible network connectivity problems here, where the LiveCycle DB server is just randomly dropping from the network. Since no one can seem to figure out why this is happening, we have had to try to be proactive about it in any way we can. I have set up a process with an Exception Event Start Point. From this start point I am then grabbing the FaultName, FaultSource, FaultMessage, and emailing that information to myself.

To set this up drag the Exception Event element to a blank process.

Next set up your process variables to capture the Fault information you wish grab.

Then set up an email component to email yourself. I've used a simple concat function to send all three Fault values to myself in the email:

concat('An exception occurred on the LiveCycle DEV server. The exception that happened was: ', /process_data/@FaultName, ' The Source of the fault is: ', /process_data/@FaultSource,' The message associated with this exception is: ', /process_data/@FaultMessage)

You can set filters up on your start point so that you are only catching those exception that you want to be notified on, or set decision paths after the start point to do whatever you want. Hope this helps, or gives you some ideas.