Expand my Community achievements bar.

Task Attachments

Former Community Member
Hi,

Am I right if I think the task attachment of a process are saved in the GDS of the application server ?

Is there a way to purge the task attachments where there are no more needed ? (even using the java api)

Because the GDS will grow up to big.

Thank you.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
Jerome

I don't know if there is any other location that task attachments are stored but I do know that you can find them in the table tb_task_attachments as BLOB entries.

Josh Boyle

jboyle@cardinalsolutions.com

Cardinal Solutions Group

Former Community Member
Hi josh,

Thanks for the reply. I saw this table but I will explain you my issue.

In a process, my users need to attach sources to the Workflow. The attachments are next copy in a directory on a server.

I was wondering what happen if big attachments are added. So I added a zip file from 1Go to the form. The file was good copying in the directory I want and the process terminated good.

I saw the tb_task_attachments and look at it size. The size is 0.274MB for 73 row. So I think the attachments was saved in an other place. (but I see the [content] blob entries you mentioned. Is the file compressed or a reference to the file ?)

I checked in the /jboss/server/all/svcnatives/documentStorage and find my file of 1Go in a directory.

So I am asking me if several users add big attachments, my GDS will grow up to big. How can I delete the attachement from the GDS without delete process instance.

Thanks

Former Community Member
I read that the big attachments are not stored in the database but in the GDS. There are permanent document so they will never be deleted.

If I delete them manually or by a Java program, I suppose Livecycle will crashe.

Level 9
Hi Jerome

We have developed a utility to remove large attachments, and several other LiveCycle data objects that consume database/GDS space.

You can download a trial here:

http://www.avoka.com/avoka/addons.shtml - click on "Purge Utility".

By the way, attachments are stored as "Documents", which mean that they follow the same rules as other types of documents - they are stored in the database till they exceed the threshold (64K by default), and thereafter they are stored in the GDS.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
Hi Howard,

I saw your solution, you have a lot of very interesting utilities on your web site but unfortunately I can't use a non-free solution.

I try to find an other way to upload files from my user to a folder server.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Jerome

I found your response very interesting...

Without meaning to query your decision, can you explain why you can't use a "non-free solution".

It seems to me that you've already spent a lot of money on LiveCycle, so you've already commited to using a "non-free solution".

Why not spend a bit more and end up with a solution that solves all your problems?

Instead you seem to be about to spend a whole lot of time and effort to come up with a solution for a problem that we've already solved. Isn't your time also worth something? For the record, it took somewhere around a man-month of effort to build the purge tool, by a developer who already had a whole lot of experience with LiveCycle - and you can buy it for the price of a few days of your time.

I would very much like to get an understanding of your reasoning, and look forward to your response.

Many thanks,

Howard

Level 1

It's possible to delete attachements with the TaskManager API :

TaskManager taskManager = TaskManagerClientFactory.getTaskManager(_Factory);

taskManager.deleteAttachment(TaskID, AttchID);

I never tested it but suppose that it will delete the document from the GDS.

[Update]

I've juste tested id and and unfortunately it does not Work !

The function only delete the line in the Database but not the document in the GDS!

Isn'it a bug ??

Will