Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tab order issue

Former Community Member
Could use some help. I can't get the tab order to work. I have set the tab order and my document has a logical field order, but it keeps skipping over certain fields. The funny thing is that if I move one of the fields down 1/2 an inch, it'll work. This of course makes the document look bad however. Can someone tell me why the tab order would be completely ignored if I just shift a text field?

thanks
31 Replies

Level 2

Hi!

What if i want to restrict user from using the arrow keys within radio button??

I have 3 options in on radio group where the 2nd and 3rd options are protected. Ofcourse tab order does not work there but when the focus is on the first option, i am still able to move to the next options (2nd and 3rd) with arrow keys and they get selected despite them being "protected".

This happens only when i use arrow key and now while using mouse!

Please help!

Thanks,

Radhika Magaji

Former Community Member
I am trying to set the tab order on a form I created in designer. I am able to get so far, then I come across a field that will not allow me to select it. I pretty much took the first six fields I created and dupliacted them all over the form - could this have something to do with it? I've done it before though and not had this issue.

Former Community Member
Hi Anna, select View and then tab order from your main menu and you should be able to see the order that the tabbing will follow. If you're using Designer 8.2 you have a tab on the left hand side that displays the tab order and also let's you move the order up and down easily.

If the ordering does not work, check the XML behind the form and look at the "traverse" element values.

Former Community Member
Thanks Lee,

I actually have 7.0. I was able to select each field and "bring to front" in the order that I wanted to tab them and that worked. So I assume it had something to do with duplicating multiple fields at one time(?) What a useful tool moving the tab order up and down on the tab display would be - looks like time for an upgrade!

Former Community Member
One more question - I have 3 Date/Time fields on this form, and I am trying to change the way it displays the date. I tried to enter it into the Data Pattern under the binding tab, and it works - until you tab to the next field. Then it goes back to displaying it the original way. Am I missing something here? (It's set for User Entered-Optional)Thanks much, Anna

Former Community Member
Hello all, I have had some fun with this one and this is how I have got all tabs to work like a charm on a huge 11 page finance doc with heaps of fields and columns.

1. Design whole form so no more changes are needed

2. Go to every individual page and select all elements = CTRL A and right click and select wrap for sub form. (Must do every page before you order tabs on any page. This will break most linking problems & naming problems)

3. Name sub form in Hierachry on all new subforms and be neat with your naming ie: form01, form02, form03 etc (you will soon notice some boxes highlight themselves when you go to tab order on the pages to start the order process as they have found themselves to be alone and not attached to any duuplicating dramas)

4. Go through and turn off all boxes not to be tab in the Tab order mode.

5. Now number tabs thorugh to last field how you want them to order in tab mode and save page then test in preview mode. If one field is playing up just go and rename that one field to a different name to all in doc - ie:- Bob01

6. save every page as you go

7. Open pdfs then in Acrobat professional and enable user rights so all info can be saved on the pdfs for the user

Good luck and hope this helps

Level 1

I had a close issue of the same magnitude.

Quick background:

1. Form was essentially designed in MS WORD
  2. Saved as PDF
  3. Opened in Adobe Live Cycle as (Create an Interactive Form with Fixed Pages)
  4. I had other versions of the forms with the fields already in place, I copied and pasted all form fields into my new version

Issues:

Tab order worked in Preview PDF

Cause: I discovered that a HyperLink e-mail address that was put in while designing the form in MS WORD was the cause

Solution: Changed the hyperlink to regular text.  I made it blue and underlined it (Looks like a hyperlink).  Saved form as PDF

and opened it up back in Adobe Live Cycle. Customized tab order slightly by going to Window > Tab Order and making custom modifications.

Issue is resolved.

Former Community Member

Thanks nlighten!!  You just made my day. 

Removed hyperlink and tab order issue appears to be resolved. 

Really appreciate you taking time to document issue/solution.

Level 1

Go to Edit - Preferences - Forms and untick the box that says "Automatically adjust tab order when modifying fields".

Level 1

Go to Edit - Preferences - Forms and untick the box that says "Automatically adjust tab order when modifying fields".

Yes that is the easy fix for tabs mysteriously reordering in Acrobat (especially radio buttons) when creating/modifying form fields.... only took almost 9 years for the correct answer ... Thanks...

Level 1

I couldn't follow the last entry as they must have changed it in CC.

Just go to Object > Interactive > Set Tab Order.

A window will open allowing you to move fields up or down based on how you want the tab to flow.