Expand my Community achievements bar.

submit by email

Former Community Member
Seems that if an email address is entered into the form when using the 'submit by email' button, the address can be easily harvested. Is there another way of sending the form?

Presently, our form needs to be printed and then uploaded on the site. Seems cumbersome but avoids the problem of harvesting.

Thanks

kim
17 Replies

Level 7
As always, the best way to submit a form is to use http or, for a

secure form, use https. There are WAY too many problems with email for

it to be used on most live forms - think of it as a toy, handy for

testing only.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Thanks for the answer. Don't both http(s) and email use .xml format? Is it possible to send the .pdf instead?

kim

Former Community Member
That is selectable in the submit option of the button object palette.

Former Community Member
Hi,

I'm having two problems. I got this great form setup. Its intended for a person to make a request to the manger by filling out the form and E-mailing it to the manager. When the Manager receivwes the form, they will digitally sign and forward to the ACIO the ACIO will open it , review and digitally sign sending by e-mail to the CIO. The CIO then opens it and selects a radio button that gives the option to approve it or deny it. Approve it populates a picture saying approved. Not approving populates a comment section .the form is the nsent back to the originator and they manager.

Problem is:

1. I want the form to lock after the first person e-mails it. Setting up the collection list gives me error after error. When they are not set It looks fine.

2. After the first person e-mails the form to the manager. when the manager goes to sign the form I get this error like: File may be read only or another user has it opened.

3. obviously i can't get the rest to work if the first e-mail that went out didn't work.

Any help out there?

Former Community Member
Paul,

Thanks for the response. I am in LiveCycle 8, the submit button is highlighted and in the object pallete there is nothing that says 'submit as' which is outlined in the help file also. Only a field type, 5 caption types, url: checkbox for sign submission, presence: locale:.

Where to find?

Thanks

Former Community Member
Paul,

Newbies take things litteraly. I found the correct 'Button'. Many thanx for your help.

Kim

Former Community Member
Another questions now that the 'Button' issue has been resolved.

In the 'Submit to URL' Field I have http://www.domain.com/uploads. Whether or not the trailing / is used does not seem to matter. The result in either case is an 'Index of /Uploads' page and there is no sign of the .pdf anywhere that I can find.

Any idea would be helpful.

Thank you.

Kim

Former Community Member
The submitto URL is used to call a program on the server (the program will depend on the type of webserver you have). The program will interact wih the web server and as a result of that the file can be written to disk. Just entering a file location will not do what you want.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm still at a loss. Where do if find this script (program)?

Thank you

Level 7
> Where do if find this script (program)?

A programmer writes it. Then it is installed on the server. When it

is installed it will have a URL, and you can use that in your form.

I recommend only experienced web programmers up to date with security

issues be considered for writing this program/script. It is far too

dangerous a place for beginning programmers.

I know what you want: put a URL to write to and then someone can use

the same URL to read back. Sorry, no, that isn't how things work at

all.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Changed the path to:

http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi/name.pdf and now get an error msg that no files were selected to upload.

Thanks.

Former Community Member
You have to create one ..... it is no different if you wanted to submit some data collected from a web page.

Former Community Member
If this is a script, is it available, either purchase or share?

Level 7
>If this is a script, is it available, either purchase or share?

I think you are making the assumption that there is just one script.

If it were that simple it would be very easy. In fact, a script

usually has to be written for each case, since each company has

different needs. EVERY time you click a button on a web site a script

is run. There are scripts for feedback forms, scripts for shopping

baskets, scripts for dictionaries, scripts for Wikipedia... Amazon

will have hundreds if not thousands of scripts.

That said, you might find one for purchase which meets your needs.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Hi all,

I have a - well - kind of problem. If the users filled the form and clicks the submit-button, the standard mail program opens and you can send the xml file. That's all correct.

But is there any way I can script that after clicking the submit-button Adobe sends right at that time, without opening the mail window? In my case, all users use Outlook.

Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance...

Säbbel

Level 7
> without opening the mail window?

That would be considered a HUGE security problem, so you cannot

silently send e-mail. If you want a silent submit, a server-side

solution is the way to go.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Ah, I see. So I won't change anything.

Thanks anyway...