Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Submit by email button not working

Level 1
I have a simple form which has worked fine for the past couple of years, but since updating it with Livecycle Designer ES8.2 recently, the 'submit by email' button is not working for many who have downloaded it.

Works fine when I try it here and it worked fine last year, but not with this latest version of the pdf apparently.

If anyone has a moment could they have a look and see if there's anything obviously wrong? (It has a couple of required fields before the button will work) It's at http://www.mogsport.net/series/2009-SeriesAppForm.pdf

Thanks

Chris

XP Pro SP3, LC ES8.2, Acrobat 9
13 Replies

Former Community Member
Chris,

This could be a result of the change to the Google email domain and the migration of user accounts.

The email address is 'morgan.challenge@googlemail.com'. You should check and see if 'morgan.challenge@gmail.com' exists. If it does, it may be creating a conflict.

Steve

Level 1
Thanks Steve. In fact both work (as I found out by mistake a while back and just double-checked now) and end up in the same mailbox.

But the failure seems to come before that - in that the window offering either desktop email or internet email fails to initiate for most users.

Chris

Former Community Member
Works fine for me ....I am running Acrobat 9 and Outlook. What mail client is being used for the ones that fail?

Level 1
That's the frustrating thing - it varies. Some have Vista, Acrobat 9 and Outlook 2007, some XP Pro, Acro 9 and Outlook 2003 (but that combination works for me).

Former Community Member
The submit by email button is connecting to th emaiil client through an interface called MAPI. I have seen some virus sofware programs dis-allow the programatic call to email programs ....check to see if there is anything in the virus scan logs or if there is a setting to that nature.

Level 1
I did wonder originally if it was an AV problem (or even Vista UAC) but I have since found that one machine on our network would open it and another wouldn't (same OS, same AV). That narrowed it down to the fact that it seems to work from Acrobat, but not Reader...

It worked for you with Acrobat - if you have Reader on your system coiuld you try it with that to prove or disprove that theory?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Former Community Member
May I piggy back on this question?

I have a simple form I have created that is to be completed by a client and emailed to one person. However instead of the form being emailed 'as is' to the recipient, it comes to him in html. Is there a way to have him receive the form completed in standard view versus code?

Thank you for your asisstance.

Former Community Member
Chris,

Reader cannot send a completed PDF unless it is Reader Extended. Reader Extensions is a product that extends the functionality of Reader on a form by form basis. My bet is that you were submitting only the data before (which is allowed by native Reader), then changeed the submission to submit the complete PDF. This is what I suspect broke the Reader submissions. So you have two choices:

1. Add Reader Extensions to the form so that it is allowed to submit PDF. There are two ways to add this right to the form.

A) Open the form in Acrobat, Click on the Advanced/Extend Feautures in Adobe Reader. Follow the wizard. Now the rights are applied and it should work in Reader. Note that by licence agreement that this technique is restricted to a max of 500 users

B) Get a copy of LiveCycle Reader Extensions Server and apply the appropriate rights to the form to allow this. This technique does not restruct the usage but it is much more expensive.

2. Change the submission option to send xml and not PDF then you will not have to extend at all.

Make sense?

Former Community Member
Aimee,

Yes you can send a PDF but you will have the same issue as I have outlined to Chris. Do you still want to proceed down that path?

Level 1
Paul, it makes perfect sense. You're absolutely right - prevously I had 'distributed' the form without problem, but didn't do so this time (for no reason that I can remember...).

Many thanks for the solution and taking the trouble to test it out.

Chris

PS And thanks for the form - look forward to seeing you out on track ;-)

Former Community Member
Hi Paul - <br /><br />I added that extension however there was no wizard to walk through. I tried to complete the form again with the extension and I still end up with the same outcome. <br />Sample of what is received - <br /><?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <br />- <topmostSubform><br /> <_1_Date_of_Request>3/24/09</_1_Date_of_Request> <br /> <_3_Policy_Number>123456789</_3_Policy_Number> <br /> <_4_Batch_or_Box /> <br /> <_5_Insured>Robert Smith</_5_Insured> <br /> <_6_Storage_Date /> <br /> <PRIOR_AGENT_NAME>John Doe</PRIOR_AGENT_NAME> <br /> <PRIOR_AGENT_NUMBER>a054321</PRIOR_AGENT_NUMBER> <br /> <Return_to>me</Return_to> <br /> <Phone_Number>916-xxx-8861</Phone_Number> <br /> <Office>caro</Office> <br /> <Fax_Number>916-xxx-8861</Fax_Number> <br /> <Address_1>10901 xxx drive</Address_1> <br /> <Address_2>city, ca xxxxx</Address_2> <br /> <Check_Box1>Yes</Check_Box1> <br /> <Check_Box2>Yes</Check_Box2> <br /> <Check_Box3>Off</Check_Box3> <br /> </topmostSubform><br /><br />Does that help? I may not be asking the right question...<br />Aimee

Former Community Member
Send your form to livecycle8@gmail.com and I will modify it for you to send PDF.

Former Community Member
i have had this problem too. it looks like you are getting the xml data file because the pdf opens as read only in acrobat reader and cannot be saved. one thing that solved the problem for me was to open the file in acrobat pro and use the distribute form wizard. this may just be a roundabout way of doing the reader extension paul mentioned, but in my case it worked.

open the file in acrobat pro (if you have it)

go to forms > distribute form...

when you get to "how do you want to collect responses.." select "manually collect responses in my inbox" from the dropdown menu and click next

then you will get to "how do you want to save your form"... click save a local copy and send it later the click the browse button and select where you want to save the document.

then click finish

go to where you saved the file and it should have the file name with "distributed" after it. send out that file and it should be able to save and return a pdf when the recipient clicks the submit by email button.

from what i remember the first time you go through the dist form process you have to fill in contact info, email etc. whatever email you put for this will be the email the form is returned to when you hit the submit by email button. from what i remember it even overrides the email address programmed into the sumbit by email button. if you want to change the contact info later you can change it in Edit > preferences > identity

hope this works for you