Expand my Community achievements bar.

Strange behaviour with nested overflow headers

Former Community Member
Hi there,

I have a strange behaviour with nested overflow headers. I have a hierarchy with some dynamic tables an several headers for the hierarchy steps. When the table entries lead to an page overflow, I would assume, that all parent headers will be shown. But unfortunatley only the last (the deepest in the hierarchy) defined overflow header will be shown. Here you can see a quick example of it. (http://www.nemonon.de/HeaderProblem.xdp)

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks and greetings,

Joerg
5 Replies

Former Community Member
That because in the table definition you told it that you wanted to repeat the table headers on a page break. I have your form ....can you describe what it is you are expecting to happen?

Former Community Member
Sure, the table headers are meant to be repeated on the subsequent pages, when a page overflow occurs. The parent containers have also an overflow leader defined. When, the table breaks to a new page, it´s parent containers do the same, aren´t they? I would expect, that their headers will be shown, too (see below). Instead, only the header of the table is displayed.

Page 1

-------------------

Header1

Header2

TableHeader

... (table content)

(page break)

Page2

-------------------

Header1

Header2

TableHeader

... (rest of table content)

Greetings,

Joerg

Former Community Member
The way the table object is designed it will repeat its header (if th echeckbox is selected). So I see that you have two choices. Include Header1 and 2 in the table Header or discard the table object and build your own structure to represent the table and have Header1,2 and Table Header in the same subform. Then when th epage breaks you can indicate to use the subform name as the Header for each page.

Another approach woudl be to move Header1 and 2 to the Master Page so that it appears on every page regardless of a table or not (not sure if this is a viable solution for you or not).

Former Community Member
That will sure work for some requirements and thanks for the ideas. But this would fail for the second table. Perhaps my example xdp only shows the behaviour of the nested overflow headers and it´s structure is reduced to show that. The real situation is a bit different. The parent containers also contain some other content. The Problem is not the table...I've just chosen it to produce some content and another nested header. Just try to uncheck the overflow header of the table. This will lead to, that the next defined header (in this case "HeaderThree" is shown. When you go on by also disabling that header, the next one will be shown...and so on. This shows, that the headers for their own are functional, but they fail in combination.

Greetings,

Joerg

Former Community Member
Is this just the behaviour, the LayoutManager of the Reader works and there is no chance to solve that problem? I´ve tried several layout strategies in the meanwhile without new success.

I´ve also tried to use nested tables. Very interessting is, that the inner tables don´t provide any pagination options to setup the headers.

I really need some help at this point. Every hint would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Joerg