Expand my Community achievements bar.

Sizing a Paper Forms Barcode

Former Community Member
I have all of the fields on my form mapped to the Paper Forms Barcode. In Designer, the red X appears in the upper right corner of the barcode and the message states that the data does not fit into the barcode and advises me to make it larger.

On the other hand, if I size the barcode such that it gives me the barcode is too large warning, the barcode does not appear at all in PDF Preview mode.

Is there a "formula" that can be used to figure out what dimensions to use to size this barcode properly? I find it perplexing that there is no easy means for figuring out what size your barcode needs to be, since the trial and error method that I am being forced to take is not working.
2 Replies

Former Community Member
I meant to add that when I PDF preview the form when it tells me "the data does not fit into the barcode", the barcode initially appears but then disappears when a certain threshold of data is input into the fields (which I suppose supports the warning that the barcode is not big enough).

Former Community Member
We had the same problem with XML encoded Paper Forms Barcodes until we determined that the XML generated was very verbose. Switched to functions to custom encode minimal XML for the barcode and enabled compression for the barcode. This also allows us to closely check the length of the data to be encoded into the barcode so it doesn't exceed the PDF417 limits.