Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Saving/naming forms issue

Former Community Member
Does anyone know what I can do about this? My client, a medical practice, is trying to save forms in a rather interesting way. They have charts that are divided up into different sections or tabs such as Progress Notes, Patient Info and more. These charts have been scanned, separated by tab and placed onto a shared network drive for all the employees within this practice to view.

This practice has now gotten into creating new forms using Acrobat, which obviously eliminates the need to create more paper. The problem now is that each employees is saving these forms differently, in different locations as well, and it's a huge mess.

The file name by which they'd like these chart sections to be saved follows this format:

Last Name_First Name_Date of Birth_Section of Chart_Date of Service_Initials of Person Who Created the Form

So, if the patient's name was Jeff Hansen, their date of birth was 7-30-1982, the section was Progress Notes, the date of service was 12-12-1997 and the initials were HM, the file name would look like this:

HANSEN_JEFF_07-30-1982_PN_12-12-1997_HM

With me so far?

What they would like is, after someone's done with a form and they click Save As, they'd like something like this to pop up:

LAST NAME:

FIRST NAME:

DOB:

TAB:

DOS:

INITIALS:

They would then be able to fill out these fields with the appropriate info, with the exception of TAB and INITIALS, which would be drop-down lists.

After these have been filled out and the file name has been created, they now want the form to be saved in a specific folder-the same folder every time. Right now, there's files all over the place on their drive and it's a mess.

Does ANYONE have ANY idea how the heck we can do this? Seriously? Any idea would be ideal! I don't know of how we can create a Save function like this using Acrobat or LiveCycle Designer. Please help!
1 Reply

Level 7
You will need to create a special trusted function using Acrobat JavaScript and place the code in one of Acrobat's application level JavaScript folders to perform the "saveAs" method. You will then be able to call the trusted function from LiveCycle Designer. Depending upon how you write your specific function you could pass the file name or have the function query for the name. See, http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/aucbb/viewtopic.php?id=16903 , "How to "SaveAs" with filename generated from form field?" for an example of the necessary code.

You will also will need to write some code to use the Acrobat JavaScript "Dialog" object for the pop-up and gathering the necessary data and generating the necessary file name. You might want to look at, http://www.windjack.com/products/acrodialogs.html, WindJack Solutions' AcroDialogs product to quickly and easily create the dialog pop-up.

Neither of these scripts is a simple programing task.