Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF

Former Community Member
I need some help with LiveCycle.

I've created a form that will be sent to several people to fill out. Once they fill it out, they will need to save the form as a non-fillable file (normal PDF?) and send on to others to be read-only. The form will not come back to me.

I cannot figure out how to enable the form to be saved as a normal, non-changeable PDF.

Also, the only option seems to be that the form is returned to me. I don't want that, either.

Thank you!

Tricia
385 Replies

Level 1

Hi Niall - you seem to be the man as Paul has gone so quiet - I don't blame him after everyone asks him the same question 3000 times.  Enough to send anyone crazy      .

I've read every post here going back to 2008 on the subject and still can't believe that it's not a readily available function in Adobe/LC..   Anyway I thought I'd done everything you/Paul told me to - copied the script, set the permissions etc but nothing seems to be locking.    Would it be rude of me to ask you to take a look at my finished form to see what I'm doing wrong?   I am an Adobe virgin so it will be my inadequate knowledge/skills - but after spending more than 10 hours trying to find a solution I've decided to ask nicely for help.

It's a straightforward form that our staff will be filling out with different information on a daily basis and then distributing direct to a distribution list via email - so we want our people to be able to fill in the boxes but then to save it as an unfillable document before it is emailed. 

Is there somewhere I can email it? (or perhaps you could PM me with your email address?  (we are a not for profit search and rescue helicopter for the people of southern Queensland).  So you would be helping a very worthy cause ...

Many thanks in advance...

Level 10

Hi,

Unfortunitely Paul is no longer with Adobe (see here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4019004#4019004).

You can contact me via http://www.assuredynamics.com. I have an amended version of Paul's solution here: http://assure.ly/yDtfsM.

Niall

Level 1

Thank you Niall.  I will contact you through your website as suggested...

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

I think I have the same need as a lot of people here and your script may work for me too. 

I have created a form in Livecycle Designer ES2.  It is a fillable PDF that will be posted on our intranet for our maintenance staff to complete.  I used a "Submit by Email" to have the completed form emailed to me.  My problem is that the pdf attachment I receive can be edited and I need it to be locked.  Will your script accomplish this?

I would also like to make the same form a template so they cannot save the information in the original form.

My email is cmarques@ahfc.us

Thank you for your help.

Carmen

Level 1

Hi,

Can I also have that information.  I spent the afternoon trying to figure it out.

Thank you

email:  sandyjk2@yahoo.com

Level 1

Can you email me the script as well please?  keithsantaana@gmail.com I've been looking for the exact same thing!  Thanks

Level 10

Hi,

If you look back up through this thread, the script is provided in an attached form. I think on page 6 of the thread.

There are also screenshots showing how where to place the script object in your form and how to reference the script.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Niall,

I have a similar issue. But based on an existing form.I am trying to populate the form from an XML data set. Like if the value of the checkbox is X in XML data then it has to fire the validation for the click event but not able to achieve that.

But it does pout a X on the check button.

Level 1

Is it still possible to get a hold of the script that was so popular all this time ago?

It would be so helpful for me!

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Im also interested in this script. Please send to me as well.

bcassar@usnonwovens.com

Thank  you,

Bill

Level 1

Hi Paul,

I am also interested in this script.Please send it to me

paul@aliens.nl

Thanks!!

Level 1

Bonjour, Hi Paul,

I would be interested in the script  :[personal info deleted by mod, forum  policy]

Thank you very much - Merci beaucoup !

Lise

Former Community Member
Paul:

I'm interested in the script you're proposing. Can you post it here?

Ryan

Former Community Member
It is too large to post here can you post your email address and I wil mail you the sample.

Former Community Member

The sample form is posted as an attachment in a previous post of this thread.

Paul

Level 1

Hi,

I would like to have that script to lock the form from further editing. My email ID is sudeepfranco@gmail.com, also please tell me how can I add a SAVE button at the bottom of the form and link the script to that buttong.

Many Thanks

Sudeep

Level 7

Hi Paul,

Wow, this is a long thread--I haven't read all of it so forgive me if this has been answered.

What I would like is a way to "flatten" the form after it has been filled out, but before saving it, so that it can be re-opened and viewed either by iOS or the Mac PDF viewer. I guess that would involve transforming the XFA layer/content with the data into a regular non-editable PDF. I haven't been able to "print to PDF" because of security settings ("This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file. Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.").

If your script does this, please send it to: kingphysh@gmail.com

Or, explain how this is done, if I need something different.

Thanks,

Stephen

Level 10

Hi Sudeep and Stephen,

Paul's solution is in this thread: Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF.

When you download it and open in LC Designer you will see that the lock button calls a function that is in a script object. There are a few screenshots and instructions in this thread as well: Re: Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF.

The process does not change the type of PDF (it is still an XFA form), but works through all of the objects are sets their access property to readOnly.

The current version does not lock buttons, where their names begins with "Button". See the script in the function.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 7

Thanks Niall,

I have used the access property successfully to make forms readOnly--not a big deal--been there, done that. In fact, I prefer to set the access property to "Protected" rather than readOnly. There seems to be differences in the ability to copy field data to the clipboard.

What my client demands is re-opening and viewing the filled-out form on his Mac WITHOUT Adobe Reader. He is an Adobe-phobe and doesn't want ANY Adobe programs on his precious Mac. So that means he wants to use the built-in PDF viewer or some other non-Adobe product to open the completed form and view the data. This is an objection I cannot overcome.

Taking sides in corporations' battles seems pointless to me--they all have their dark side--but that is a discussion for another day.

Thanks,

Stephen