Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF

Former Community Member
I need some help with LiveCycle.

I've created a form that will be sent to several people to fill out. Once they fill it out, they will need to save the form as a non-fillable file (normal PDF?) and send on to others to be read-only. The form will not come back to me.

I cannot figure out how to enable the form to be saved as a normal, non-changeable PDF.

Also, the only option seems to be that the form is returned to me. I don't want that, either.

Thank you!

Tricia
385 Replies

Former Community Member

Yes ...it will involve some mods to the sample I provided but it can be done. Are you familiar with scripting? If not you will find it very difficult.

Paul

Level 2

I'm not familiar with scripting.... is it possible to create a very simple pdf and send me a sample of locking some fields, but not others?

That would be very useful in applying the concept to another form. It's clearly a hurdle I need to master.... Thanks.

Actually, I have incorporate some scripting into my form, for example, creating popup messages with user instructions, automating some of the functions in text fields, setting up calculations, etc., so i'd like to give the locking forms scripting a try. Thanks!

Former Community Member

It is very simple .....you have to decide when you want to lock the fields (click of a button, filling of a field ...) This is called an event. On the event that you want to code against you add the code to lock the fields that you want. Each field would have one line of code like this:

The name of your field.access = "readOnly";

So if you wanted to lock 7 fields there woudl be 7 statements (one for each field)

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

This could be an interesting challenge - creating a form that can be completed in three logical steps, with each of the steps involving locking the fields filled in for that session! I'll tackle this, with your thanks.

Level 1

Paul, if you can send the script i think it will fix my problems.  Thanks!

effendrew-misc@yahoo.com

Former Community Member

If you scroll up in this discussion you will see that it has already been posted  (Feb 11). You should be able to downlaod it from that post.

Paul

Level 1

thanks!  it looks like i need LiveCycle Designer.  is this correct?  Is there a MAC Version?

Thanks

Drew

Former Community Member

No there is no Mac version of Designer ....Windows only. Designer is used to create/edit the form. So you only need Designer if you want to author any part of the form.

Paul

Level 1

Paul i was just told by Adobe that Live Cycle Designer is included in Acrobat 9 Pro for Windows.... is this correct?

Thanks,

Drew

Level 1

ok Thanks for that info, i am on hold with Adobe Customer Care now, does anyone know how easy it is to switch my platform license to Windows?  just did the upgrade to Pro 9 because i was told it would work on the mac, never was told about the feature differences between the two platforms.

Thanks,

Drew

Level 2
Paul,

May I also please get the script for this?

Thanks.

buckATbuckandmike.com

Former Community Member
Paul,

Am interested in the script as well for a form that I'm working on.

jeffATallterrainresq.com

Level 1
Paul,

I'm very interested in your script. Would you please send me.

Thanks a lot.

sa_fiATgmxDOTnet

Level 2
Paul,

From this thread, it seems like your code would be very helpful to me. I have used the 'print to PDF' trick, but it is not very elegant. If possible, would you please send me a copy of your script? Thank you.

darrell.fulmer (AT) mosaicinfo.org

Former Community Member
I am using adobe livecycle designer 8.0

I created a form that is to be completed and emailed to me. I need the fields to be locked as read only once the form has been returned to me. I cannot figure out how to do this. I have seen the xdp script posted elsewhere but when I inserted this script into the mousedown field it did not work.

PLEASE HELP.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Email: jam@mnhlaw.com