Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF

Former Community Member
I need some help with LiveCycle.

I've created a form that will be sent to several people to fill out. Once they fill it out, they will need to save the form as a non-fillable file (normal PDF?) and send on to others to be read-only. The form will not come back to me.

I cannot figure out how to enable the form to be saved as a normal, non-changeable PDF.

Also, the only option seems to be that the form is returned to me. I don't want that, either.

Thank you!

Tricia
385 Replies

Level 2
wow i need the exact same thing.

i need the whole form locked once it has been filled in.

i agree with He Gr

i was thinking of adding a button which prints to 'cutepdf' and then the locked file can be saved or emailed. but for several forms talling the freeware pdf generator 'cutepdf' is time consuming

paul if you could send me the code that would be very useful to me thanks (yet again)

bubblensqueak999@yahoo.co.uk

Former Community Member

I posted it in the previous reply ....is it not there for you?

Paul

Level 4

I apologize.  I'm getting used to the new forums... Thanks Paul!

Former Community Member
Wow, that's what I need - a button script that would use cutepdf or dopdf to create a pdf of the completed form. I don't want to lock the form since I want the user to retain the ability to revise it if necessary. But I don't want the completed form to be changeable by whoever might receive it. Right now, I have them doing it manually, by printing the form & choosing dopdf as the printer. But a button that does that would be perfect. Do you have a script that would do this?

Former Community Member
ibwaheemi I just sent the sample to you.

Gregory,

This code will lock the form and remove the ability to revise it. If you want to retain the right to revise the form, printing it to a PDF removes that capability....unless I am missing something!

You did not post your email address for me to send it to you.

Level 1

Would you mind sending me that script aswell to wilenco@gmail.com that would be appreciated

Former Community Member

Its posted in this message thread 3 messages up from this one.

Paul

Level 1

Hello Paul, would you mind emailing me the script as well.

acespiritu@gmail.com

I appreciate your assistance.

Thank you

Level 1

Hello Paul,

I would also like you to email me the script: jkeyzerandre@gmail.com

Thanks!

Level 3

Hi Paul,

I have just sent you a PM with a link to my form, and am hoping that you may be able to assist me?

I really need to use this lockdown all fields, but am getting strange results...

I made a test form to try this on, and it all worked as it should.

I then tried to add it, to the "live" form that I am working on, but it only locked the first page.

I then added extra lines to the click even of the button, specifying the other pages in my form.

This appeared to work. You can populate the form and then click the button to lock all the fields.

The fields all lock. If you then save the form, and re-open it, all the fields are editable again, and are not read only?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Former Community Member

I did not recieve anything .....you woudl be better off emailing it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

I'm new to this forum.  And i've read the entire thread.  I also need help on our Department's application form to be locked.  Our form includes a date that automatically generates the current date and time everytime it is opened.  My problem is that when the form is submitted to me through email, when I open it, it will still generate the current time I recieve it, and not when it was submitted.  Does the script works on locking with that as well?

And also, i'm having problems viewing the script.  Where can I view it?  And where should I copy paste it?  I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro and I also have the Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.2.

I hope you can help me with this.  I'm such a newb but I really need to get this done. And I'm willing to learn anything.

Thanks!

P.S. I was going to attach the document so you can take a look at it but i didn't see an option to attach a file.

Former Community Member

fiel2003,

There is nothig attached. The locking of the fields that is in that script only stops the users from interacting with the field. Any scritp scan still access the fields. I think that you will want to wrap your code around a test to see if th efield is populated already. If it is then you know that the date was already set. Something like this:

if (this.rawValue == null) {

execute your code to populate the field

}

The script is in a scripting object called myScriptObject in the sample that is provided. There is a function in that scripting object called LockAllFields that has the code that you are after.

paul

Level 3

If I need to exclude a button from locking, where abouts would I put the following code: MailButton.access = "open";

function LockAllFields(myParentObject){

var allChildElements;
    var intNumElements;
    var currentElement;
    var j;

//Get all the child nodes of the parent element
    allChildElements = myParentObject.nodes;

//Total number of element in the object
    intNumElements = allChildElements.length;

//Loop through all the child elements
    for(j=0; j< intNumElements;j++){
        currentElement = allChildElements.item(j);
        //If the element is another subform we'll recusively call the function again
        if(allChildElements.item(j).className == "subform"){
            LockAllFields(currentElement);
        }
        //If the objects are fields and they are set to mandatory (validate.nullTest) then we will set the border.fill.color - dependant on object type
        else if(currentElement.className == "field"){

currentElement.access = "readOnly";

}
            //Check for exclusion groups - Radio Buttons
            else if(currentElement.className == "exclGroup"){
            for(k=0; k< currentElement.nodes.length;k++){
                if(currentElement.nodes.item(k).className == "field"){
                    //set the color for the radio buttons individually
                    currentElement.access = "readOnly";
                }

}
        }   
    }
}//end function

Thanks!

**Update: I have now worked this out. Thanks

Level 3

Hi - I have the same requirement as you, and you say you figured this out. Where did you put the code to keep certain buttons open - mine are SaveAs, Print, Email and Reset. Your help would be much appreciated.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the response. My email is gspencer@sympatico.ca

You're right - Adobe Reader doesn't allow saving filled in forms (too bad). But the script would still be helpful since it would eliminate a step for my users.

Thanks!