Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF

Former Community Member
I need some help with LiveCycle.

I've created a form that will be sent to several people to fill out. Once they fill it out, they will need to save the form as a non-fillable file (normal PDF?) and send on to others to be read-only. The form will not come back to me.

I cannot figure out how to enable the form to be saved as a normal, non-changeable PDF.

Also, the only option seems to be that the form is returned to me. I don't want that, either.

Thank you!

Tricia
385 Replies

Level 10

Hi Stephen,

XFA forms on 3rd party viewers are a big problem. See here: http://assure.ly/hd4jFh.

You might be okay with a viewer, as long as there isn't script and they don't interact with the fields.

Niall

Level 1

I am interested in your script.  Will this help my issue.  I want to create a PDF (I am using Acrobat 9)  that the user can fill out and save only once?

Level 10

Hi,

Paul's solution is designed for forms created in LiveCycle Designer. It would not work as it stands in an AcroForm (form created in Acrobat).

Niall

Level 1

Thanks for the reply

Sgt Eric Barthel

Technology Coordinator

State Patrol Training & Development

1900 W. County RD I

Shoreview, MN 55126

Office: 651- 757-1913

Cell: 651-334-5918

MSP - Home Page<http://www.dps.state.mn.us/patrol> MSP Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Saint-Paul-MN/MnDPS_MSP-Minnesota-State-Patrol/159745283143> MSP Twitter<http://twitter.com/MnDPS_MSP

Level 10

Hi Eric,

You may want to edit your post online on the forums, as it contains your full details.

Niall

Level 1

This is exactly the script I'm needing. Can you please email the sample to jhoffman@solutionary.com?

Level 1

Hi.

I need your help.

Please send script.

my email is pardeepkaursonia@gmail.com

I have nitro pro 8 and adobe crobat -6

Thnk you

Level 4

quick recap of this code PAul posted just so i understand why its used at all.

Right now a for LOOP is the approached looked at by Paul but i was wondering if this approach is used because of other avenues not working well.

Here is what i mean:

i have a Page inside my form called Page 1 and on that form i have objects.

Those objects i want to lock down so what i do is this:

At the page level under initialize i put code:

form1.Page1.access="readOnly";

And tha will lock all objects on that page down the way i want. BUT if i use this code on a txtfiled on that page that is currently locked:

Under initialize or anywhere else (event wize) :

this.access="open";

I can not open that field at all in any way shape or form. The Page lockout seams to be to powerfull and it remains locked.

My question realy is:

Is the FOR loop apprach to locking fields individualy (rather then in one deal at the parent level) the only way to go in order to be able to manually change any radom object on that page to an access level = "open"?

because i would rather be able to lock fields down at the parent level of a collection of objects rather then individually, but maybe i just cant with LiveCycle designer???

Please feel free to ask me more questions if this is not clear, but for me, i see all these posibilities to lock objects using the objectName.access="something"; but it doesnt seam to want to work.

thank you very much,

PAtrick

diane [@] thecontractorsgroup . com - Please send the script to me as well.

Thank you so much!!

Diane

Level 1

Hi Paul

Can you please email me the code/instructions also?

[email removed]

Many thanks

Level 1

Hello Paul,

I would also like this information. [email removed]

Might be an idea to make this easier on the next version, seems in high demand.

Thanks,

Karen

Level 1

I just reviewed these posts, and it occurred to me, if you are running Windows, you can just print the document as a Microsoft XPS, saving it in that format with a new name. Then open Adobe Acrobat and click the "Create pdf" button; choose "from file" in the drop down menu, and click on your new XPS file.  Then save the file - it will be a flattened pdf of the filled form.

Level 2

Hello Paul,

I would also like this script. [personal info deleted by mod]

Thanks,

Level 1

Paul (pguerett),

I am also interested in that script.  Can you please send it to me [personal info deleted by mod, forum policy]

Thank you so very much,

Ashley

Former Community Member
Paul, I'd be very interested in that code also. Can you email me the sample at scottsheck@yahoo.com

thank you

Former Community Member
Are you stating you want the form to lock after the feilds are filled out?

Former Community Member
Paul - Can you email me a copy of that code. Thanks. Sancta

mcginnis@mutualtrust.com

Former Community Member
I appreciate clean solutions, though printing a PDF File with AdobePDF printer or PDF Maker to get a not editable PDF File out of a form is tempting easy. depends on your target group

Level 1

Hi

Could I please get a copy of that script too?

Thanks!