Highlighted

Saving Fillable Form as non-fillable PDF

08-04-2008

I need some help with LiveCycle.

I've created a form that will be sent to several people to fill out. Once they fill it out, they will need to save the form as a non-fillable file (normal PDF?) and send on to others to be read-only. The form will not come back to me.

I cannot figure out how to enable the form to be saved as a normal, non-changeable PDF.

Also, the only option seems to be that the form is returned to me. I don't want that, either.

Thank you!

Tricia

Replies

Highlighted

08-04-2008

Firstly you will need to buy a Reader Extensions license (this allows Reader to save the form data - otherwise the client will require Acrobat).

Once this is done, you will then need a button (called "Lock Down" or something) that executes a script that makes all of the fields readOnly and updates a form variable (say, "locked") to indicate that the form is locked. You will also need to add a script to the initialize event that checks for the value of "locked", then executes the readOnly script (if the form needs to be locked down).

An example of a readOnly script can be found on page 434 of http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_lc_scriptingReference (see "Disabling all form fields" script)

John.
Highlighted

09-04-2008

Another way to accomplish this which still requires Reader Extensions or Acrobat Pro is to use digital signatures. The people you are sending this to should have certificates set up.

In Designer, you can design the form to lock all it's fields automatically when the form is signed. This option is located under Object Inspector->Document Signature tab. Here you will find the checkbox to Lock all fields after signing. Hope that helps.

Don
Highlighted

09-04-2008

Thank you both. I appreciate your time. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Tricia
Highlighted

31-07-2008

I have created several fillable forms with LiveCycle that when emailed out need to be "locked" or non fillable. The only people filling out these forms are people in my company. We don't use the "submit/email" button in the forms. We just copy the pdf file and paste it in the email.

Is there a way for me to save these fillable forms as non fillable before sending them out in email?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! 🙂
Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

05-08-2008

Is the whole form or just portions of it that you have to lock? I have a script that will show you how to lock the entire form. You can put the script on a button and lock the form when you click on the button. If you are interested let me know.
Highlighted

05-08-2008

Paul:

I'm interested in the script you're proposing. Can you post it here?

Ryan
Highlighted

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

Total Posts

Correct Answer

pguerett

06-08-2008

It is too large to post here can you post your email address and I wil mail you the sample.
Highlighted

14-08-2008

Paul, I'd be very interested in that code also. Can you email me the sample at scottsheck@yahoo.com

thank you