Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Save and Email Form

Former Community Member
Hi,

I have a form which has a Submit via email button configured on it. The form itself is an application form with lots of fields for customers to fill in. Once they have filled in the form, I want them to click the Submit button which will then open up the local email client (all outlook) and send the email back to me. Ive tried to distribute the form via the File Menu but this is not working. It only sends the filled in fields. How do I program or set the button so when the applicant click's the submit button, it sends the entire form along with the data which has been typed in to me?
11 Replies

Level 5
There are two ways to deal with this.....

1. Set the control type to Regular in Object Palette for the email button and use the following JavaScript code in 'click' event of the button.

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:emailaddress@company.com?subject=Newform&body=Fill the form and click on email submit button.",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

2. Set the control type to Submit in Object Palette for the email button and in the 'Submit' tab set 'PDF' in Submit as dropdown and check PDF in the Include section.

Former Community Member
SekharN, can you confirm your instructions are for LiceCycle 8? Im not able to find the control type in the Object Palette, can I ask for more descriptive info (Im a novice when it comes to LiceCycle)

Kim Synder, Ive read your link but Im unable to complete the instructions, is it for LiveCycle?

Level 5
Some times those Palettes overlap with other so make sure you drag the borders to see entire Object palette and Control type is displayed in three radio buttons (Regular, Execute, Submit). It is same for all versions of LC so far.

Former Community Member
SekharN, Right almost there. Now Im strugglin to find where I would add the java code into the click event??

Former Community Member
SekharN, ok, cracked the java code bit and the form is almost complete. Just a few more queries if I may.

1) How do I change the colour fill of the button

2) When the doc opens up on a standard client (Adobe Reader 8), it throws two errors which are both - "This Operation is not permitted". How can I find out whats causing the errors?

Level 7
> How can I find out whats causing the errors?

There might be info in the JavaScript console.

Also, check your JavaScript to make sure every one of the methods you

use is suitable for Reader. Don't, for example, try to sign or save a

file, nor try to submit in PDF format (which I see this example does).

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Aandi, there is nothing in the java console. Also, Im trying to submit a form via email, are you saying this is not possible using the process Im currently using?

Level 7
You can "submit" a form by email (though I wouldn't recommend it, I

consider this something just to use in the test phase, not suitable

for real work). But if you want it to work with the free Reader, I

recommend submitting in XML format, which is more flexible in any

case, and much easier to process programmatically, especially when you

move to a robust web-based solution.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Despite the two error messages, the process works fine. My lack of programming skills is preventing me from using your suggestion with XML. Looks like I will have to live with the error messages unless there is a easy way to achive my goals.

Thanks

Former Community Member
I made a form, send it out, and want the responders to e mail the data back to me. A lot of my responders do not use outlook or other local e mail programs, but use hotmail etc and acrpbat reader. When they click at t e mail button, they get a message that e mail program is not installed. Therefore I want to make a buttom which save the data.

How can I do this?