Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Repeating subforms and tab order

Level 2
My form has a "table" that I've created with a subform object that contains a repeating subform "row." The table contains add row and delete row buttons where appropriate. After clicking the add row button, a new row appears; however, the new row's tab order defaults to the very end of the form. I have to tab all the way to the end of the second page before getting to my new row. This won't pass our accessibility QC.

I checked Adobe's sample Purchase Order, and new rows get the correct tab order there. Am I having problems because I'm using a subform object instead of a table object?
7 Replies

Former Community Member
I think so but I would have to see your form to be certain.

Level 2
Thanks for your reply Paul. All I really need to know is, if my form contains a repeating subform, and the user dynamically creates a second instance of the subform, does that second instance get placed at the bottom of the tab order? I'm guessing it does.

Former Community Member
The tab order should be left to right, top to bottom ...so the tab order should adjust accordingly when you add the additional row.

Level 2
I built a single-column, two-row table. Row 1 contains a delete button, row 2 contains an add button. When I open the form and click the add button, rows are added dynamically and they are inserted correctly into the tab sequence. However, if I wrap both buttons in a subform, new rows are appended to the end of the tab order.

I'm tempted to call this a bug. Why should a subform affect the tab sequence this way? I need to be able to build "multi-line" table rows. Is that do-able without a subform?

Former Community Member
No ...you must have a subform to do that. If you feel it is a bug then you can open an incident with support and get an official answer.

Level 1
Paul,

I'm sorry to stock you like this. I posted in another thread, but it's been a month since it was last updated:
Jason Bell, "Database Connection" #, 13 Oct 2008 12:51 pm

Could i work with you a bit to learn some beginner steps regarding that post?

Thank you, sorry to jack this post! I'll be done

Nick Armstrong

narmstrong@smilebpi.com

Level 2
Our friends at AboutWeb, who host our local LiveCycle user's group, helped me figure this out; however, I think Adobe has some usability issues with this feature. It has to do with the Automatic vs. Custom options on the Tab Order tab. If I select Automatic, dynamically added table rows are correctly inserted into the tab sequence. If I select Custom, dynamically added table rows are appended to the bottom of the tab sequence. The problem was, even if I just display the Tab Order tab, the Custom option is automatically selected. Something I completely missed. Hopefully this post might help anyone having the same troubles I did.