Expand my Community achievements bar.

Question about Reader Extension

Former Community Member
Hi

I am looking to implement Reader Extension in my job but I have some questions.

1. How does it work

2. Can I just purchase the Reader Extension and not the whole LiveCycle suite.

3. Does this extension have to be installed on a server or can it be installed on a workstation. The reason why I ask is because it may interfere with our security and or any other server related software that is installed on our servers.

4. How much does it cost and can I download a demo of the software.

I have already ocntacted a sales rep but I have not received any response as of yet.
9 Replies

Former Community Member
Hi Anthony:

You can purchase Reader Extensions without the LiveCycle suite, yes.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say a server or a workstation. The software requires Windows 2003 Server, RedHat or Suse Linux, AIX or Solaris. If you're running one of those on a "workstation", then you can use Reader Extensions on a workstation.

Pricing information is only available through a sales person. However, its safe to say that the software will run into the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. There are other posts in this forum that mention that same information.

http://www.adobe.com/products/server/readerextensions/main.html

and

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/livecycle/readerextensions/devcenter.html

provide more information about the software.

There is no trial version of the software available. However, if you want to try the software, you can become a member of the Enterprise Developer Program. That will entitle you to download a developer license of LiveCycle software, including Reader Extensions, and it will also provide you with 1 year of unlimited email support, to help you get your implementation up and running. The cost for 1 year of the Enterprise Developer Program is $1495. If you have any questions about the program, you can email dev_info@adobe.com You can
get more information about the program.

Mike

Former Community Member
Hi

I downloaded the livecylce tryout version and I was able to only save the data from acrobat file. From what I understand I have to signup for the developer program to get the reader extensions so that I could allow my users to download the acrobat file with only acrobat reader.

Level 7
>I downloaded the livecylce tryout version and I was able to only save the data from acrobat file.

Perhaps you downloaded the trial of LiveCycle Designer, not LiveCycle

Reader Extensions.

>From what I understand I have to signup for the developer program to get the reader extensions

No, you have to negotate a license with Adobe. Prices vary, but are

in the range $50K-$1M.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Can you clarify what you mean by "LiveCycle tryout version"... Tryout version of which program?

If you sign up for the developer program, you cannot use the software in a production environment. The license that you get is for your own personal development only. A product license would be required if you plan on allowing your users to save form data with the free version of Adobe Reader.

Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions is targetted at enterprises, and is priced accordingly.

Does that answer your question?

Mike

Former Community Member
Unfortunately, Adobe has chosen to price the Reader Extensions out of the reach of small organizations. With a price in "the tens of thousands, or more" your Designer work product intended for the Reader client would need to be either be very expensive or a very high volume. The inability to SAVE an acroform with Reader is an important functionality that requires Reader Extensions.

What happens next? I anticipate someone (Google? MS?) introducing a lower-cost product to fill this void. Adobe wins the battle, but alas, is destined to lose the war.

Level 7
You could look into http://www.formserver.com/, which has a business

model that might suit smaller businesses.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
We have purchased and installed LiveCycle Reader Extensions 7.2[Windows XP] using the turnkey installation with JBoss. I don't know how to process the watch folder mechanism in Reader Extensions without manual interaction. Could you please help me how to use the built-in Watched Folder mechanism (or) any other possiblity use the reader extensions through command prompt. Please advice me.

Maria

Former Community Member
What does a Watch folder do precisely?

i am new to LCES and would like to know more. is it only related to RE or other apps.