Expand my Community achievements bar.

querying data

Former Community Member
I have acces to a Microsoft Access data base via Livecycle Designer 8 and I want to compare the user name in the database to a user name I get from the the person filling out the form. I need to know how to put a specific name from a database into a variable so that I can compare the two values. Does anyone have any idea how I would I go about doing this?
3 Replies

Former Community Member
You will need to set up an ODBC connection to get the data from the database. Look in the help it describes how to access a DB. You can bind the appropriate column in the DB to a hidden field (holds the value). Then you can compare the two fields and perform the appropriate action.

Former Community Member
sounds good. i am not familiar with the syntax of iterating through a database using livecycle, do you know where I can get some information on how to do this?

Former Community Member
In the designer help do a search on odbc and there are good instructions that tell you how to set up the connection. Once you have the connection setup it is a matter of creating the appropriate SQL statement and executing your query at the right time.