Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Problem with expanding textfield in Adobe LiveCycle Designer

Former Community Member
I've got an urgent problem with Adobe LiveCycle Designer and I really could use some help. The problem is that I'm trying to get my textfield expandable, but whatever I try, it's not working. What I'm trying to get done is that you can fill in a textfield, and when there is more text than the size of the field, the textfield expands to make the text fit in the field.

I tried a whole lot of things:

placing the textfield in a subform

expand to fit (height)

allow multiple lines

allow page breaks

flowed/positioned

etc.

The strange thing is, that no matter what I try to adjust, I can't change anything in the pagination tab. Maybe that is the problem, but I don't know what to do, to change that.

In the examples of Adobe itself (Purchase Form) is an example of a textfield that sort of behaves as I want it to, BUT the problem is that that textfield in the subform has to be triggered to appear by a button (add comments) and that is what I don't want. I want the textfield to be visible from the beginning. But in that example you CAN see the pagination tab and make changes in it.

I searched a lot in the Adobe Helpfiles of Designer, and I even bought and read/studied the book 'Creating Dynamic Forms with Adobe LiveCycle Designer', but still I'm not able to get this done.

Is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks in advance,

Sterre
12 Replies

Former Community Member
I am trying to do the same thing in a request for, have you had any luck getting it to work?

Former Community Member
Ensure you have saved your form as a Dynamic pdf, and not a Static pdf. Does this help you?

Former Community Member
Yes Helen that got me through that situation, Now I have to figure out how to get the subforms to push the others down as the field expands.

Former Community Member
Here is a sample one that worked in Designer 7.1.2.

The levels I created were:

P1

L1

TextField1

P2

L2

Textfield2

My comments are in brackets. When tested it expanded and flowed onto the next page if needed.

P1 (Subform Tab: Flowed, Top to Bottom, Allow Page Breaks)

L1 (Subform Tab: Flowed (also works in Position), Top to Bottom, Allow Page Breaks)

TextField1 (Field Tab: Allow Multiple Lines; Layout Tab: Height Expand to Fit)

L2 (Subform Tab: Flowed (also worked in Position), Top to Bottom, Allow Page Breaks)

TextField2 (Field Tab: Allow Multiple Lines; Layout Tab: Height Expand to Fit)

Form is saved as a dynamic pdf. Hope this helps.

Former Community Member
Helen,

Thank you for the response. I got it to function just the way I needed it to Then I came into the problem with nothing dropping down and everything was overlapping. I resolved that issue in the Pagination setting by unchecking header and footer on every page.

Thank you for all your help!!

Former Community Member
I am creating my first .pdf with no training. I first converted a word doc of our form into a .pdf. Modified everything and thought I was the "bomb" for figuring it out. Then I tried to use the form and where I had "allowed multiple lines" I realized that it would allow that but not display it or print it except for what was showing.

In researching for a solution, this site said to use "expand to fit". After much frustration I realized that this feature is only available if you created the form from scratch in adobe.

I have figured out, somewhat, how to create the form and get the field to move with the text but I need the entire form to adjust to the input. Can't have one specific field expand into the rest of the form.

I did some more research on this site, and it looks like the solution has something to do with 'subforms'. No idea what to do.

If anyone knows if there is a way to do this with a converted doc (since I already have that completed) I would GREATLY appreciate it. If it isn't possible, could someone walk me through how to do it or provide a reference for a "barney style" walk through?

Appreciate ANY assistance you can provide. THANKS! Guess I need to sign up for an Adobe Pro class. BTW I'm working on LiveCyle 8.0

Former Community Member
Tracie, I am having the exact same problem as you. Did you get any good advice?

Former Community Member
First, make sure your form is saved as a dynamic form...

Level 1
Helen's example helped me and the text fields are expandable and working correctly until I get to the end of a page, then the text expands backwards to the beginning of the page.

I've looked for where to 'uncheck header and footer on every page,' per tjlav's message, but cannot see where to do that.

Any advice? I just want the form to flow from page to page.

Level 1

I'm having an issue with Adobe 9.  Most of it is my lack of experience.  I have been able to get all my expanding textfields to push the objects below them down.  The issue I have is there is page overflow instead of it extending the information onto a second page.  I continue to get an error about my parent object not having the Allow page breaks within content checked.

Is there a master checkbox for this and where is it located since I can't seem to find it.  It seems that the master document somehow has that box not checked.

If anyone can tell me how to fix this or locate what I am missing I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for you help

Level 6

Probably need to look at subform properties.  Check: Allow page breaks

Level 1

Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem, tried everything that was said here, but the problem persists.   The "allow page breaks with Content " is greyed out, so I think this is where my problem is.   Can anyone please help.

Many thanks