Expand my Community achievements bar.

Populate User Dropdown

Former Community Member
I wondering if there is a way to prepopulate a dropdown with a list of users from LC's user list. I was looking at the FindUsers service, and it is supposed to return a list of User objects. At that point, I am stumped though, as I am not sure how to bind it to the form. Do I have to convert the list to XML?
4 Replies

Former Community Member
I guess I could query the database directly rather than trying to use the UserManager service.

Former Community Member
That is the way to do it....I suggest running a query against the EDCPRINCIPALUSERENTITY table. You could get the results back as a comma delimeted list an populate a hidden field. When the form loads you could extract prgrammatically put the list into the dropdown. I have done this intractively via a web service. If you want my sample, post your email address and I will pass it along.

Paul

Level 10
Unfortunately you would have to convert it over to XML. This is a pain.

Paul's technique would probably be quicker but we try to prevent people from hitting the database directly since there is not guarantee it won't change in future release (although not likely).

I'll log an enhancement request to also have the option of getting the data as xml.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
if you are using Flex it is easy to use FindUsers, if not I have a custom component which returns the users in xml format

let me know

thanks

girish

mergeandfuse@gmail.com