Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

PDF Structure

Level 2
I have gotten to the point where I am giving myself a headache. I have created a form that is working exactly the way I need it to now. Our department has decided that we need to be 508 compliant on this form, as the first to then go back and fix. I have realized that "PDF Structure" is blank with no tags. I can not figure out for the life of me, how to set these up. Can someone please help me?

Tim Henderson
11 Replies

Level 2
I guess some questions just do not get an answer.

Former Community Member
Are you using Designer to create your form?

Level 2
Yes I am using designer to create my form.

Former Community Member
In Designer you can turn on an Accessibility palette by hitting Shift-F6 or by choosing it from the Window menu. If you enter information into this panel then the tags will be created for you. You can choose part of the field definition that you want read by the screen readers....or you can add some custom text.

Former Community Member
I'm resurrecting this issue, and maybe Tim had the same issue.

I have a form created in LCD. The tab order is correct in my hierarchy.

When I run the Read Out Loud function in Acrobat for this form, the voice does not follow the desired tab order in the hierarchy. :( Instead the Read Out Loud goes strictly from left-to-right (or just jumps all over the place).

Is there another method that I need to apply to get it to read the way that I desire?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Former Community Member
Are you using the order in the heirarchy view or the Tab Order tool in designer to set the order? The Tab order is what is used to set the order for screen readers to follow not the hierarchy of the form.

Tables have been know to cause grief ...do you have a table on the form?

Former Community Member
I'm using Tab Order and not hierarchy.

And yes, there are tables all over the place. Sigh.

Former Community Member
You could wrap your tables in a position subform and change the height of the subform to get the order that you want (left to right top to bottom).

Former Community Member

I find that I can create a tagged PDF. I can create a dynamic PDF. But I haven't been able to create a tagged dynamic PDF.

I created a simple form in Designer 8.1, set it to be dynamic and to generate tags in Acrobat. I opened it in Acrobat 8. Under Advanced > Accessibility > Full Check, I selected Adobe PDF under Checking Option. The test failed, saying the document was not tagged and contained no fonts. But if I resave the form as a static interactive form, it passes the full accessibility check with no problems.

Former Community Member

Accessibility is handled differently in XFA Forms. In Designer under the Window menu item there is an Accessibility menu (or hit Shift - F6). This menu allows you to define how to handle screen readers on an object by object basis. As well there is a tab tool provided that will allow you to control the flow through your form.

Paul

Former Community Member

Try trimming your search variable - spaces may be getting through

somehow?

%#Trim(Search)#%