Expand my Community achievements bar.

PDF Generator process converting several document types

Former Community Member
I am creating a PDF Conversion process, and I utilize a watched folder to fetch files. However, if I set the fileName parameter to * I get the error stating that the file extension is missing. If I use for example file.doc, all word documents are converted, but other formats will of course not be converted. choosing either variable or something else doesn't help. Any ideas?
7 Replies

Level 10
You can put *.* for all file types.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Thanks for your answer. I tried to use *.*. If I use the Variable fileName *.* I get the following error: Failure Time----Fri Oct 19 10:08:46 EEST 2007 source location ---- Reason of failure is-----Invocation error. Invocation error. ALC-PDG-080-002-Missing extension in file name. ALC-DSC-003-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCInvocationException: Invocation error.

If I use the Literal fileName *.* I get the following error: Failure Time----Fri Oct 19 10:07:06 EEST 2007 source location ---- Reason of failure is-----Invocation error. Invocation error. ALC-PDG-001-000-Conversion failed because of an exception. java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\pdfg-Administrator\74\5da5-f8404c-77e20d-b34459-99eaf0-6cd26a\*.* (The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect) ALC-DSC-003-000: com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCInvocationException: Invocation error

I use Xpath expressions in Workbench, and set the parameter in the watched folder endpoint

Level 10
So you need to make sure you use *.* for the right variable type.

If your variable fileName is of type string, then *.* won't make sense since it won't be able to put the whole file into a string.

You need to put the *.* to Variable and not Literal. Literal will only give you the literal value that you type. You're basically putting *.* in the variable called fileName. Your process is then looking to load a file with the name *.* which is wrong.

Can you give me a list of your IN process variable with their types.

What you need to use is a IN variable of type document and then specify Variable and *.* in the watch folder configuration. This will put any file that matches the pattern into a variable of type document. Then you can pass that variable to PDFG to convert.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Thank you. I figured out that one parameter marked as required, has to be empty. Now it works fine.

Level 3
Hello Daniel,

What you are doing is similar to a task that I'm researching. I am wondering if the document types that are input to your process include Word ML (XML) document, by chance. Thank you for any reply.

Regards,

Jesse

Former Community Member
Hi,

I am not converting any Office 2007 documents, so I don't use Word ML files, but I tested it earlier, and it worked fine. What are you trying to achieve? Maybe I can help.

Level 3
Hello Daniel,

If you created a simple word document. Say for example it has a table with three rows. Each row has the content " Hello world". The first row the font size is 12. The second row the font size is 24. And the third row the font size is say, 36. Now save the document in xml format (testhello.xml). Okay now the question: Can you convert testhello.xml to PDF using the Adobe Sevices. That is what I wanted to know, is Word ML an acceptable input format to the PDF Generator service. Thank you for any results.

Regards,

Jesse