Expand my Community achievements bar.

Paginating Subforms

Former Community Member
I have a multi-page document with many subforms containing text fields. Many of these subforms are longer than a page. I've been trying to get the text fields in a subform to break at the end of the page but it's not happening.

The subforms are flowed, top to bottom, and so are the pages, except that the first page is positioned. I've tried different page settings, but the text fields go through the end of the page and they don't break at the bottom margin.

What are the correct page settings for this occur.

Thank you!
6 Replies

Former Community Member
Make sure that you allow page breaks with content on the big subforms.

Former Community Member
That was done originally.

I created a new master page for the positioned page so I could flow it, while retaining the original master for the rest of the pages. By flowing it, I was able to get the rest of the fields (the overflowing ones) to move to the next page.

However, the pushed text uses the same master page as the page that pushed it, and not the original master page format. I'm specifying the following pagination specs:

Place: Following Previous

Keep With: Next

After: Continue Filling Parent

Overflow: None

Can I do anything else to maintain the correct format?

Thank you for your help!

Former Community Member
You can specify which page you want the overflow to go on in the Object/Pagination properties of the breaking subform. There is an Overflow field where you can tell it which Page to use.

Former Community Member
For clarification purposes, I have master page 1 (MP1) and master page 2 (MP2) formats. The overflowing page is MP1; all others are MP2. What happens here is that the overflow page is formatting with MP1, and not MP2, as it should because it is not the first page. The Object/Pagination/Overflow setting is set to point to page MP2, but the overflow page still shows with MP1 format. I even tried different settings, but none works.

Is there a way to correct this? Or, is this a bug in Designer ES 8.0.1.1?

Thank you!

Former Community Member
It should be using MP2 if that is what you declared. I do this all of the time so I know it works. Check your settings and if it still does it post your form and a description to liveclcle8@gmail.com and I will have a look (when I get a chance - may not be for a couple of days).

Former Community Member
Paul,

I did send you the file, but I also have another question within this context. When a page is flowed and fields are pushed into a new page, how do you make the subsequent fields move up one page to join the fields that were pushed to make a continuous, flowing document.

Let me say it differently. Let's say that I have a five-page doc. The bottom field in page 3, gets pushed into a new page, a new page 4. How do you make that field to be in the original page 4, as opposed to a page of its own, which would now make it a six-page doc, where this new page 4 has only one field.

You see. So far, whenever I've had a multi-page doc, the fields that got pushed into a new page were at the end of the doc. Right now, I'm building a report that may or may not have intermediate fields, but the final doc still needs to flow. I hope I'm making myself clear.

Thank you!