Expand my Community achievements bar.

opening LiveCycle Designer ES

Former Community Member
Whenever I try to open the program to work on a form, it quickly flashes onto the screen, disappears, and Adobe Acrobat Professional opens instead. Then I have to go to Forms; Create New Form, etc. to eventually be able to get LiveCycle to open so I can work on my form in Design View. (I am working in Windows XP, v 5.1). Does everyone have to go thru this? Shouldn't LiveCycle just open when it is clicked on in the programs list or it's desktop icon?

Thanks for your help...Kris
4 Replies

Former Community Member
PDF file extensions are associated with Acrobat not Designer. You can change that association if you want (I do not recommend it), or you can save your designs as XDP format (then when you click on them they will open in Designer) and when your form is complete you can save it as a PDF.

Former Community Member
It is the actual LiveCycle program that flashes on to the screen and then closes (not the pdf file). I did as you said, however, and saved the form as an XDP, but that made no difference trying to get to it directly by opening LiveCycle. LiveCycle flashed, then Acrobat opened instead.

Former Community Member
OK so the XDP extension is associated with Acrobat as well. Can you modify the association in windows?

Former Community Member
We found an article on Adobe's site that described the exact problem I was having. We tried to fix the problem according to Adobe's instructions, but were not able to find the settings they described in the article. However, digging around in the Windows settings seems to have lodged something loose because now LiveCycle launches correctly every time I click on it. Thanks for responding to my problem.