Expand my Community achievements bar.

Modifying Search Permissions

Former Community Member
I'm trying to modify the search permissions in Workflow Server for regular users. Normally, regular users can only search on work items that they have either initiated or participated in. If a user has Process Administrator permissions, they can search on all work items and can also view any work items at their current step. I want to give this ability to more users than just the ones that have Process Administrator access. I have looked at the ASP files related to searching (including the .inc files) and have found three files where there is a variable called "isProcessManager". I have tried setting the value of this variable to "true" in all cases but it doesn't change the search permissions. Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks.
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Perry,

Have you thought about what is the danger you generate by doing this? This enables the users that may not have a solid understanding of their 'powers' to do things (such as open all workitems in the system) even if they are supposed to be confidential.

On the other hand, if this is not a problem, then why not grant these users the Process administrator privileges, as without the tools (such as the Administrator Snap in or the designers) they won't be able to do any more than they could with your modification of the ASP?

Just a thought,

Sanna

Former Community Member
I have the same requirement as Perry. We need admin per specific application, not global admin.

Former Community Member
I have created a prototype ASP page that runs under a context of a Process Admin and shows all active workitems of a given process. I can then restrict this to users with a role to look at the process.

I also have requested the feature to separate security by Process to Adobe (not sure when this will make into the next WF upgrade).

Another option is to create external table/app that allows the user to select the assistant with Approve/Reject privilege to a specific process, then in each WF form you have to look up this table for update rights. The user would then permit their Worklist to be accessed by the assistant.