Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Merge fields to personalize form

Former Community Member
I currently use a paper form that contains merged information from my Access database to personalize the form. I send 1 form each to about 20 clients a week. Can I do that with this product by itself, or do I have to get the Form Server part of it, too?

Thanks,

Fran
5 Replies

Former Community Member
You can. The easiest way would be to create a webservice that accesses the database and returns the proper information. When your client opens the form it would hit the webservice and populate the fields with the appropriate data.

The advantage of using a web service like this is that there would not be any special configuration needed at the client's site in order to access the database.

H.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the quick reply. Just to clarify, you are saying that I can't just merge the client name and info first, and then email it to the specific client for them to fill in a survey (unless I have the Forms Server)? I don't have any need for them to connect to my database.

Thanks again,

Fran

Former Community Member
Well, actually what I was proposing had nothing to do with Forms, just any general webservice. But now that I think of it, your clients are probably going to be using Reader which won't work with the web service so it wasn't a great idea.

Basically, yes it would be easiest if you used Forms to do the merging and rendering for you. But I'm sure it can be done without it, depending on how manual you want the process to be. There have been other threads between people working on form pre-population from ASPs. If you search around the forum maybe you can find some info that will get you going in the right direction.

Hope you get it to work.

H.

Former Community Member
thanks again. I'll look around the forum for others doing the same.

Former Community Member
Hi! I've a similar Thing to do. I've figured an XDP file with some Dynamic Data Fields, which is populated by connecting an MS Access Database. The file work, for now, correctly in localhost. I want to make it working via HTTP. The client , after log in , with his Username and Pwd , should open the file just by clicking on a HTTP Link with the variables attached, like as :

http://www.mydomain/works/AUTO_Renderingtheform.pdf?Username="MM_UserSession"+Pwd="MM_PWDSession"

at this point the PDF should populated automatically by accessing the MS Access Database present on the Server. The things which I would like to do are:

1. Connecting the data on the Server by changing the Connection String (probabily my Provider can help me)

2.Filtering through the SQL string like as, finally:

WHERE Username = 'User_Session' AND Pwd = 'Pwd_User' to obtain the right binding. Thanks in advance to Someone can help me (I'm newbie)