"LiveCycle workbench workspace is in use. You must close other

instance before proceeding."

The way the problem was solved was to make the user an administrator

on the server. That's really not going to fly at this client. Does

anyone know why this was the case and how it could be fixed without

making the user an administrator?

What particular aspect did the user need to have rights so that the

error msg wouldn't show up again?

Please let me know and I definitely appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ikhide
3 Replies

Former Community Member
I don't know if you need admin access, but Workbench certainly can't run in a locked down environment. By default it caches a lot of run time information in the install directory. For instance, I have Workbench installed in

C:\Program Files\Adobe\LiveCycle80\Workbench ES.

Under there is another directory called Workbench and under that is a directory called workspace i.e.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\LiveCycle80\Workbench ES\Workbench\workspace

That directory contains a .metadata directory which itself contains the Eclipse log (useful for whenever Workbench reports one of it's useless "see error log" error messages) plus some other stuff. When you are logged in, you'll see a directory named for the Workbench connection which, I think, contains cached information from the server.

It's obvious that the workspace directory is in entirely the wrong place - I don't know what the Adobe engineers were thinking when they chose that location. There may be a config option to put it somewhere else, but I haven't found it yet.

I was going to suggest giving users full access to just that workspace directory rather than making them full admins, but it occurs to me that, even then, only one person on the Citrix server will be able to use it at a time.

Level 8
Level 8
Hi all,

If you set the working dir of the Workbench (on the Citrix server) to the users private dir (home dir or whatever you call it) you will fix this problem.

Sincerely

Kim

Level 1

Thanks for the response Kim. We decided that we weren't going to be deploying Workbench anymore

so I stopped looking into this issue. Of course you know that changed right? TWO YEARS LATER!!! Lol. I was wondering if you could instruct me on how to

setup the working directory locally for the user.

Regards,

Ikhide Akhigbe