Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

LiveCycle Reader Extensions on Windows XP

Former Community Member
I have noticed that the requirements for LiveCycle Reader Extensions do not list Windows XP (desktop) as a possible installation environment. This would be the ideal environment for me to run the software on as I will only use it every six months or so when forms are reviewed and it will be a right pain to find a suitable server that it can be installed on within this organisation.

With this in mind I can't figure out why it wouldn't run it in an XP desktop environment. It runs on a JBoss server and JBoss runs on XP and, although its not supported by Adobe, it should be possible to install OpenDS on XP as the LDAP directory server.

Has anyone tried a similar set up or is there anyone who can tell me why it isn't possible to run the Reader Extensions software on XP?

Thanks,

David
8 Replies

Former Community Member
Just an update, tried it, and ARES works fine on XP.

Cheers

Former Community Member
hi david,

i usually install ares on a windows server 2003. now a customer wants it on xp and you seam to be the only one, who tryed this and succeeded. could you tell me more:

- what an update are you talking about here ?

- are there particular things i should watch at while installing on xp?

thanks a lot,

valerio

Former Community Member
Hi Valerio,

When I said "Just and update" in a previous post I was referring to the post being an update on my progress, there was no actual software update required!

Its been a while since I did the install but don't think its really any different from installing on Server 2003... First install J2EE, then use the turnkey installation on the ARES disk to install and configure JBoss and ARES.

Becuase the computer it was installed on is also a workstation, I set the ARES Windows Service to start manually and created batch files to start and stop the Service. This prevents it from using memory when it isn't being used.

Cheers,

David

Former Community Member
Hi all,

LiveCycle Reader Extensions is a server product and runs under an application server (like JBOSS, or WEBSphere, or WEBLOGIC).

This in turn runs under Windows Server - enterprise edition operating system (or Unix and the like).

It's not a client application (or DeskTop for this matter) and it applies enablements on PDF documents (forms mostly used for auditing) to be used by the Acrobat Reader alone (not demanding Acrobat Professional, that could be used though).

Thanks

George

Former Community Member
thanks david and george.

jboss needs a jvm. such can be installed and runs also on windows xp. and david could install and run ares on xp. so i think for that matter it is possible to set up an ares on a windows xp operating system.

why do you think (as i did until today, to be honest) that this installation wouldn't work george?

valerio

Former Community Member
Hi Valerio,

The LiveCycle Reader Extensions run-time environment consists of modules that are deployed to the J2EE application server, where the modules run as services. After you deploy the modules, you are ready to use the web application or the programmable APIs to select the usage rights that LiveCycle Reader Extensions will add to the PDF documents. The deployed modules and custom applications running on the J2EE application server work together to process the requests for the rights-enabled PDF documents and process the resulting data that is captured.

As long as the above requirements are satisfied Reader Extensions Server should have no problem working

thanks

George

Former Community Member
Hi George,

thank you very much. I'll try and let you all know.

Valerio

Former Community Member
Where can find the Adobe® LiveCycle Reader® Extensions Software ...

can I can do Editable Pdf using this software ...

Where can i get the trail verision of this software