Expand my Community achievements bar.

LiveCycle Designer ES Rights Management

Former Community Member
Hi

I am new to LiveCycle Designer ES (included in my copy of Acrobat 9 Pro) and am still trying to figure out if I can utilize the rights management server features (or if I would need to based on available features). While I suspect that this would require purchase of software additional to what is included in the Acrobat 9 Pro package, I am not sure about this. I've read what is available in the help guide and online, but I am still unclear about use of these extra features. If setting up a policy and restricting PDF content to make it more secure is available, this may be useful in a particular health project.

I have a website (latest Windows server) managed by an ISP and am wondering if I could use this shared server as a LifeCycle Rights Management server. If I created a connection and policy for this server (not sure what is involved here), could I use it to better secure a PDF or form with sensitive (health) information?

Any help, suggestions for reading, would be appreciated. I'm afraid I am not understanding this set of features, how to use them or if they can be used without additional purchase of software.

Kind Regards,

Stephen
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Yes additional software is required, as well as a https link to the server. The Rights management server is part of the LiveCycle suite and it will allow you to define policies that can be applied to various PDFs. These policies are kept separate from the PDF and are accessed via the https link I mentioned earlier. When opening the PDF the user must authenticate and based on his/her permissions in the policy the interface in Acrobat/Reader will adjust accordingly. For example if print is disabled then the print buttons will be greyed out for that form only. Because the policy is separated from the PDF you can change the policy on the fly and the next time the user opens that document the new rights will be applied. There is also a provision for working offline (no access to the server).

This is just a 10000 foot view you may want to contact a Sales rep and have them start a trial for you.

Former Community Member
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your explanation of the feature.

Kind Regards,

Stephen

Former Community Member
Hi, Paul.

Could you explain something how this policy offline works? If you mean offline lease period setting then the question originates how is creation time and end of validity period synchronized? Because you know user can change his date/time settings.

And one more thing.. In my process at first form is rendered, then policy with validity period is applied and then the form is digitally signed. When I open the final document the signature isn't valid. Looks like the form is one more time rendered.. How can I fix it?

Any help (or links) would be appreciated.

Regards, Irina.