Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Limiting the lenght - Max Chars

Former Community Member
Is there a standard for setting how many chars per inch to set a max char length for a field?

If I have a field that is 6.5 inches in length and I don't want any typing to go beyond the 6.5 - I know I set Max Chars -- but what is the best way to judge what the max chars should be set at.

Cindy
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Cindy,

It is a best guess given screen resolution and other factors.

If you set 'limit to visible area' it will override the maximum character property and prevent data from getting buried.

Steve

Former Community Member
Steve,

Thanks but were do I find that setting?

In my Object Palette - on the Field tab - I only have 3 options: Allow Multiple Lines, Allow Plain Text Only and Limit Length -- I just am not looking in the right area.

Cindy

Former Community Member
Which version of Designer are you using?

I just realized that limit length to visible area was introduced in 8.05 .

Former Community Member
Dang - I have 7.0 -- guess I just take a chance and set them the best I can. Or talk the boss into upgrading!

Thanks for all your help.

Level 10
Cindy - I think the easiest way is to just type into your field in Preview mode and see what you get, then adjust as needed.

I don't think screen resolution has anything to do with it but the font and size definitely do.