Expand my Community achievements bar.

LifeCycle PDF Generator Linux Confussion

Former Community Member
Hi,

Actually I'm quite confused with LifeCycle products. Does PDF Generator is a standalone product? Or it comes with LifeCycle ES? I came across post that said upon installation LifeCycle we can choose PDF Generator. Is it true?

Installing trial LifeCycle ES require Adobe acrobat pro/standard? Im using linux here, I cant find any adobe acrobat for linux. I did found Adobe Distiller Server 8 can be use on linux.

Sorry, Im totally noob and confused T__T
3 Replies

Former Community Member
PDF/G is part of the LiveCycle suite. If you choose that option then it requires the native application be present to transform certain types of documents (i.e. Office). If you are running on Linux then you will have to use Open Office to get the conversion of office docs. On a Linux system you do not need to load Acrobat.

For best results with PDF/G I suggest using a Windows system with Arobat installed and MS Office. If you stay with Linux you will get reduced functionality.

Former Community Member
Thanks Paul,

I overlook the requirement of needing the native application to be present in the system. From my experience converting MS Office <-> Open Office, the formatting is not promising and sometime really mess up.

I dont know if this is the case with LifeCycle too.

When you said reduced functionality, is does not reflect on the quality of conversion right? Because at the end of the day, the end pdf result is what we actually need.

Level 7
>I dont know if this is the case with LifeCycle too.

LiveCycle does not read Office documents. It passes them to a program

to read them. This can be Office (good) or OpenOffice (perhaps less

good).

>

>When you said reduced functionality, is does not reflect on the quality of conversion right?

Sure, if you don't like the effect of OpenOffice, you won't like the

converted PDF.

Aandi Inston