Expand my Community achievements bar.

Life cycle designer 8. design to pdf view problems

Former Community Member
Hello,

I am having problems with the PDF preview and the design view of LC 8. I have the full version installed along with profesional 8, reader 8 and distiller 8 (all in a package).

When I first installed the package everything was fine and I have previously created a form from a template and then switched through to the pdf view and filled out a few fields then switched back to design view edited and then again switched back to pdf view and information I previously put in the pdf view fields remained there. Great!

However this time I come to use it (not changed a thing) and I can not for the life of me keep the information remaining in the pdf view when I switch back and forth between the pdf view and the design view. Every time I fill in the pdf view to test it, switch back to design then back to pdf all the info has disappeared. Why? This means when I come to save the form no info in the pdf is saved.

I have uninstalled and re installed and no joy! anything I need to tick or untick or change in settings? It's driving me mad as I carnt edit or save the pdf form as it's always blank. I have added pictures and rearranged the form to suit my application and they all stay and save fine. It's when I actually have to input data on the pdf preview that it disappears when I return from the design view.

The very first Pdf file I created that held the information correctly, when I come to openthat in LC 8 the form is there and displays correctly but when I swap to pdf view all the inputted data has disappered.

I have also tried opening a completly unchanged template such as an invoice. Straight away I go to pdf view and fill in a couple of fields. then switch back to design, then straight back to pdf view and it's the same, all the info I just inputed has disappeared.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance

Tim
1 Reply

Former Community Member
Preview is not meant for entering data; it is simply meant for testing the form. It's by design that each time you go from Design View to Preview, the data you entered is lost (because the PDF form is regenerated each time you go to the Preview tab). Note that in Form Properties, you can specify a data file which can be used to populate your form, which makes testing a lot easier (you don't have to type in values all over the form each time you change something in the design and want to re-test it).

I would suggest that if you want to save the PDF with data, that once the design is complete, you launch that PDF form in Acrobat.

Mike