Expand my Community achievements bar.

Large File Size

Former Community Member
I am using live cyle designer to create forms for people to fill out on or offline, print, and fax in to me. I just created a form that was 6 pages and upon saving, I noticed the file size was 1.3 mb. This seems kind of large to me.

Is there a way to cut down on the file size?
6 Replies

Level 6
If you can, stick to "standard" fonts like arial, times new roman, and courier. Then, when saving out your PDF, don't embed fonts.

Check the size of your images. If they are large files, your PDF will be large. See if you can downsample the images.

Jared Langdon

www.jlangdon.ca

Former Community Member
There are no images. If I unembed my fonts I fear that the users comp will sub a font if they don't have it (even if it is common) and then my page layout will shift.

I am doing a 6 page pdf with no images. All text and form fields. Even when you do form fields on a regular online form, php, html, or otherwise, the pages file sizes are tiny. Why should this be any different?

Is it something in the properties of the form?

Level 6
Form properties would be a good place to check. There's a new tab in Designer 8.0 called "Performance". Make sure none of those boxes is checked and see if that decreases your file size.

If that's not it, then you can send me your form at jared@jlangdon.ca and I'll have a look for you.

Jared Langdon

www.jlangdon.ca

Former Community Member
Hi all,

Im very interested in the question of smaller file size/better performance/embedding fonts.

Im working on a form thats a 600 KB PDF, but it drops to 200 when I uncheck Embed Fonts in Designer 7.0. The only fonts in the form are Arial MT. Is it really safe to not embed them? Would not embedding them make a noticeable difference in the performance of a dynamic form? Performance is currently an issue.

Researching this online Ive learned that the fonts automatically included in a PDF have shifted over time. Type 1 fonts Helvetica and Times were replaced with Type 1 fonts MT Arial and MT Times New Roman in Acrobat 5. What I havent been able to find is an exact list of the fonts that dont need to be embedded in Acrobat 7 or in Designer forms.

Id appreciate hearing more about anyones experience in this area. Thanks!

Ann

Level 2
Hi All
If you are using Form Designer 7.1, there is a possibility that your problem could be a bug in the Designer. If you have used the "edit border individually" property and then made some copy/paste of the field, there is a line the multiplies it's self, I had a file with this "" line approx. 100000 times.
Each time this line appears in the XDP file, it should only be there ones.
Ex.
This:

Should look like this:

When you correct this remember to leave one line in each border tag, where you find the line, and delete the rest.

Søren

Former Community Member
I've posted research I've done on this earlier but don't think I ever got a response. Essentially in addition to forms being large even without data in them, I could put some data in and save and the file size would get larger even without me doing anything -- not adding text, making deletions, etc -- simply open > file Save As...

My tests were documented on these forums a few months ago, but I figure it's just something we'll have to deal with until our forms are 10MB each if they are saved often.

Methinks there is an odd bug, but I haven't seen what it is.