Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Large courier text beneath barcode...how to delete it?

Former Community Member
I'm still in development with this form, but when I use the barcode I get some large (10 or 12 point) text beneath the barcode that has the same text in it as what's under the barcode in smaller type.

It looks like a long string of hex information, and I don't want it.

How do I delete it? I think I've looked everywhere but I just can't see how to do it.

Or can it even be done?

Thanks.
3 Replies

Former Community Member
This can be done through the XML interface quite simply.<br /><br />In Designer click on the "XML Source" tab. If this tab is not visible, click on the "View" menu bar and then select "XML Source".<br /><br />Once you are inside the XML of the PDF, go to the Hierarchy and click on the object that represents your 2D Barcode (possibly with the default name: "PaperFormsBarcode1"). This will position you in the XML code of the Barcode.<br /><br />Scroll down past the JavaScript and find the "caption" section:<br /><br />(please note that I have removed the tags for formatting in this message)<br /><br /> caption placement="bottom" reserve="0mm" xmlns="http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-template/2.2/"<br /> value<br /> text 750e8380-46ed-401d-ae5e-80f743f5ba13 text<br /> value<br /> caption<br /><br />Once you find the section, remove the entire <value> portion:<br /><br /> caption placement="bottom" reserve="0mm" xmlns="http://www.xfa.org/schema/xfa-template/2.2/"<br /> caption<br /><br />Now when you render the Barcode it will show without the caption. Also, if this is not a dynamic form you can save it as static and the problem will disappear. But if you do not need a caption, simply remove the entire section as I described.

Former Community Member
Just a follow up note with my quick explanation of Static and Dynamic PDF Forms

There are two types of Interactive PDF forms that end users may interact with: Static and Dynamic. When a form is created and then saved with Designer, it may be saved as one of two types (others are discussed in the Designer product documentation). A dictionary definition of Static refers to something that is motionless. In the case of PDF it refers to a document that simply does not change in format. I.e.: the length of the form stays the same and the fields in the form will not move position. Therefore the PDF may interact with the end user but the fields will remain in a static position. In the case of Dynamic, the dictionary definition refers to something that is active and changing. In the case of PDF it refers to a document that may change its form including length, position of fields, and even the number of fields. The form is both interactive and extremely dynamic.

A form that needs to interact with the user (a fillable form) does not necessarily have to be saved as Dynamic.

Former Community Member
Thanks, Lee. I've been using the designer for a while now, but I guess it was perhaps too obvious a step to delete the caption from the XML that it didn't even occur to me. (I suppose even if it had occurred, I would have figured the designer would just pop that right back in there.)

Of course, I just fired up my newly-installed Designer 7.1 and this isn't even an issue any longer! Indeed, the additional options that had been spoken of are present, and the caption handling is more like my sensibilities say it should be.