Expand my Community achievements bar.

Instance Manager - how to reference?

Former Community Member
hi :)

i have a dynamic subform, which i am adding and deleting (users).

the subform has such information as name, address, phone etc.

is there a way for me to reference last (or second, or third) instance of that subform, and get the last address that has been added/deleted?

i can't seem to find a way to do it.

Thanks!
6 Replies

Former Community Member
The innstanceManager has a count property which will give you how many occurances of that subform that exists. Also if you know which occurance that you want to look at you can address the field by using the full somExpression and giving the occurance number on the subform. Something like this:

form1.page1.dynamicSubformName[1].address.rawValue

Note that the [] will cause a problem in Javascript (they are used to indicate array elements) hence you need this syntax in javascript:

xfa.resolveNode("form1.page1.dynamicSubformName[1]").address.rawValue

Depending on where your code is runnning, if it is on a field level event you can get the occurance that the object is in by using this.parent.index

Hope this helps

Former Community Member
thanks!

when I do this:

xfa.resolveNode("form1.page1.dynamicSubformName[1]").address.rawValue

it works, but when i put in the count, instaed of 1

xfa.resolveNode("form1.page1.dynamicSubformName[dynamicSubFormName.instanceManager.count]").address.rawValue

i get "Malformed SOM expression" error....

Former Community Member
The quotes signify a string. count needs to be a calculated value so you woudl do smething like this:

xfa.resolveNode("form1.page1.dynamicSubFormName[" + count + "]").address.rawValue

I assume count is a variable that contains the occurance that you want to test.

Former Community Member
that is correct....

but i still don't understand what i am doing wrong.....

this is my code now:

var myCount = userSub.instanceManager.count-1;

app.alert(xfa.resolveNode("form1.formPage.mainSub.userSub[myCount]").userName.rawValue);

i'm still getting the "Malformed SOM expression" error....

Former Community Member
The issue is that myCount is not getting resolved beacuse it is inside of the quotes and is being interpretted as a string. I believe the expression should be:

app.alert(xfa.resolveNode("form1.formPage.mainSub.userSub[" + myCount + "]").userName.rawValue);

Former Community Member
yeay! it's working, thanks!

sorry, i didn't realize that " + myCount + " was the exact code i was to use :)

Thanks again!