Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Import XML data to textfields in a PDF file

Former Community Member
Can I use LiveCycle Designer 8.2 to auto populate textfields in a PDF-file with data from a XML-file when the user opens the PDF-file? If so, how will I do it? Is there any guide?

It works fine in the Livecycle Designer preview but when I open the PDF-file all textfields are empty. It also works fine if I import data from a OLEDB-connection.

Regards

Mikael Forssell
2 Replies

Former Community Member
I'm looking for a solution for the same thing. I have a pdf form with fields bound to an xml file, but Acrobat will only import the data manually (Forms / Manage Form Data / Import Data) and Reader doesn't work at all.

Tech Support says that when in Livecycle, you're working in an xml environment, so the 'Preview PDF' works. Acrobat and Reader aren't xml environments, so they won't display the data.

What we need is a javascript programmer who can figure this out. Possibly using the remerge function. Anyone???

Don.

Former Community Member
To be able to merge data onto a form you can use a server based piece of software called LiveCycle Forms.

If your intention is to do this on the client side programatically there are no javascript commands that will allow you to do that without certifying the form. That would break the security model of acrobat/reader.