Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Image Field does not pick up updated/changed images

Former Community Member
I have just updated to CS3.

I am trying to achieve what appears to be a very simple task in LiveCycle Designer ES with an available feature, but it is not working.

I am effectively trying to merge images into image fields in a document.

I am creating a form in designer with Image Fields that point to generic filenames (001.jpg, 002.jpg etc).

I want to be able to place a bunch of images in a folder on a PC and have a user simply open the pdf and have the images display in the relevant fields on the form. I don't need or want to worry about linking using XML, OLE or Web Services. The form is simply sitting in a physical folder on a PC together with a bunch of images.

When I create an image field and then click on url to select an image, the location and file is populated in the url field (e.g .\001.jpg) and the current image displays on the form.

When I save this form and then open the PDF up, I see the image in the document. However, if I overwrite this image (001.jpg) in the same folder and open up the PDF, the original image still displays, rather than the newer image (with the same filename), which is what I was hoping to achieve. So the image file names will stay the same, but their contents will change. I am hoping to create a form that will refresh itself with whichever images happen to be in the folder.

As background:

Embed Image Data is unticked. I'm not sure if I need to worry about any binding options but I have set to Normal and Global, but this makes no difference.

I have also tried changing the image path from .\001.jpg to various UNC path formats, but this either comes up with errors on saving the form, or it makes no difference to the end result.

I rang support and they said that the function should work with this version and that I should either read the help file or post a message on the forum. I've read help, so I guess this is my last resort.

I thought this would be a very basic task for Livecycle, but it appears that I have either missed something, or there is some other problem.

Please help.

Thanks

Earl
32 Replies

Former Community Member

Is the web service retrieving th eimage and returning it to you ...or is the WS only creating the UNC name to assign to the image?

I also assume that you are executing your Web service after the form has been rendered and the user is hitting a button to invoke the WS....right?

Paul

Former Community Member

Yes, the web service does retrieve the image and return it to me within the form (after the form has been rendered and the user hitting a button to invoke the WS) or manually invoke in workbench ES by using the UNC path name that assigned to the image of the Input in ReadDocument component.

The problem that I have is to make a dynamic variable that capture the user input and pass it to the web service to show the image on the form instead of hard-coding it like the above.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Former Community Member

So we should be able to eliminate the form from testing and validate that the WS will indeed get the image and return it to us based on an input that we pass. In Workbench if you invoke the web service it wil ask you for input parameters you can enter a value and see if indeed it is retrieving the image. Can we validate that the WS does what we think it is supposed to?

Paul

Former Community Member

Yes, it does that too which give me the option to view and/or save the document (image) as well.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Former Community Member

So now it is simply a case of binding the outout of the web service to the image field....and making sure that you set security on the WS to execute the service correctly. If you have bound the output then you should be able to see the web service being executed in your log ...as well turn on Record and Playback and make sure that it is being called.

paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

It works only in workbench but it does not work in the form when I try to enter the same input as I did in the workbench. I am not sure what I miss here, can you please help.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Former Community Member

Can you validate that the Wevb Service is being called when you activate it from the form. Turn record and playback onand you shoudl be able to see the service being called. Also check the app server log file for any errors.

Paul

Former Community Member

I got this error right at the first step where it try to pass the input to the workbench.

[9/7/10 14:09:07:450 CDT] 00000030 WorkflowDSCIn E com.adobe.idp.workflow.dsc.invoker.WorkflowDSCInvoker logFailedFaultRouting An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.livecycle.fileutils.FileUtilsException message:ALC-FUT-001-011: File  does not exist. while invoking service FileUtilsService and operation readDocument and no fault routes were found to be configured.

It looks like it does not pass the input to the input variable in workbench ES at all.

Thanks,

Han Dao

Former Community Member

So there is your issue ...the file name that you are building does not exist on the server. There is something different in how you are generating the file name from th eform and from the WB soap service.The record and playback shoudl be able to show you what the filename is that it is looking for...hopefully that show you where the issue lies.

Paul

Former Community Member

Paul,

I got the form working which return the image to display the form when I enter the input.

Now I am facing the issue of concat it with the UNC path. e.g. user enter "200" it then capture the UNC path "\\servername\ImageCatalog\"  to become" \\servername\ImageCatalog\200.jpg" to display 200.jpg in the form. Would the SetValue work for this? If so, can you please explain how I can use it.

Thanks again,

Han Dao

Former Community Member

Yes you woudl use the setValue.....the inbound value will be assigned to a variable and then you can use the concat function to put the values

together.

Paul

Former Community Member

Many thanks to Paul, I finally got the form and its process works as expected.

Thanks again,

Han Dao