Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to merge PDF/Word Doc with the Form I created?

Former Community Member
Hi All,

Which software should I use to merger PDF/Word Doc with the form I created.

One more question is I want the form page to show up right next to the ending or in the middle of the word doc . How to manange the placement of the sections?

Please do let me know, its urgent.

Thanks and Regards,

Hari.
3 Replies

Level 6
You cannot insert a PDF form created using LiveCycle Designer (i.e. an XFA Form) into a pre-existing PDF. You either have to create the whole document as an XFA Form or create the form using Acrobat. Another option would be to include your XFA form as a file attachment to your PDF or create a PDF package. Either of these last two options can be done using Adobe Acrobat.

Former Community Member
Hi Jared,

Thanks for the response . I have few questions to get goin:

The options I have here:

# 1 Create the complete document ( 2pages) + Form in the Live Cycle itself.

Does the quality of the text remain the same like the pdf writers?

#2 Create the form using Acrobat -- Can you tell me what software to be used.

Does it provide the same functionality to create a form where

calculations can happen using JavaScript like the Live Cycle Designer

?

I used Acrobat Professional 8 (Trial version) it didnt throw up any

options for this?

#3 Create a PDF Package :

I tried this using the Acrobat Professional 8 (Trial Version) , but

the problem with the package is it doesnt show up in a flow . And I

get an error while opening up the file saying "Upgrade to latest

version to see the conents".

I created the file usign Live Cycle Designer 8.0 .

And I am trying to open the package in Acrobat 7.0 , is this not compatible?

Please help me out of this, want it urgently to be done.

Thanks and Regards,

Hari.

Level 6
1) The option of creating the whole thing as a LiveCycle form means that you need to convert the Word document using LiveCycle Designer. The import utility won't preserve the fidelity of the Word document the way printing to the PDF print driver does. It will likely require a fair bit of tweaking in Designer to get it looking like you want. You will likely get frustrated, since Designer is not a word processor.

2) You can create PDF forms in Acrobat without launching LiveCycle Designer. While they look the same to a user as forms created with LiveCycle Designer, behind the scenes they are very different. When you create a form in Acrobat you overlay fields on top of an existing PDF document that you had previously created using the PDF print driver. There is an extensive scripting model for these "Acroforms". The technology pre-dates LiveCycle yet Adobe continues to improve the two forms models in parallel. In Acrobat, open a PDF and select tools-->forms-->show forms toolbar.

3) I recommend this option if it's feasible. I don't know what you mean by "doesn't show up in a flow". If you're going to use the form in Acrobat 7, then save it as Acrobat 7 compatible in LiveCycle Designer. This is one of the options in the Save As dialog of LiveCycle Designer.

Jared Langdon

http://www.jlangdon.ca