Expand my Community achievements bar.

how to make text after a text field move its position

Former Community Member
Hi,

I tried to seach forums but did not really find an answer for this.

We would like to create forms where custom text is entered in a form text field (or chosen from drop down list of preselected text strings) within (between) standard text.

For example: Please inform us within [drop down text choices: two days; three days; four days] about your preferred choice.

The issue is that I can not find a way to make the standard text after the field to move itself depending on the length of text in the form field so that text continues normally after the field and there would be no gap or over-coverage. In some cases the drop down can include text choices with very different length so in ideal case the standard text should be able to adjust itself also over several lines.

Can anybody please help? Thanks.

Hando

P.S. I am really new to using LC Designer, so the more detailed the answer, the better ... :)

P.S.S. I am using version 8.0 of LiveCycle Designer.
5 Replies

Level 5
Inserting a floating field may be you want to consider. Check the help files on this item.

Former Community Member
Thanks,

Yes I looked into this option, but as far as I understand floating fields can only be related to data sources. They can not be filled in manually when filling in the form.

In our case often unique custom text needs to be entered in the text field, so using a floating field would not really work. If there is a way to make floating field so that it can simply be filled in, I would be very interested to know that. Although drop down choices could not be used then, it would still help me a step further.

Level 5
I worked on similar requirements in the past. Here are two options I use that time.

1. Use a dropdown above the field text and script the events to populate the floating field in the text.

2. Use a response object method in JavaScript to accept input from users and populate floating field.

I know these are not the strait answers for your situation but can be considered as alternative solutions. In my case I have added additional code to hide the dropdown when curser is not in the subform and eliminated from printing.

Note: You can change the value of floating field at runtime based on event programming.

Former Community Member
Thanks, using another field (which can be made invisible as I understand) to populate the floating field sounds like a usable idea. Can this be done both with drop down and regular teext field? However as I am rather new in LC, it would be great if you could provide few more guiding points on how to link the field to floating field and also how to make the field inisible.

Also I am not sure I understand exactly your last note, although its sounds like something which could be useful ... :)

Sorry for these stupid questions.

Level 5
Though this requirement is easy to meet, we need to use code in multiple events to make this happen. It is difficult to explain in wording. All I gave you was concept how to get this done. If you need additional assistance I would be able to code for one set of fields if you can email copy of your template at 'meetsekharv AT yahoo.com'. Then you could copy over and customize to your needs for rest of the form.