Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

How to enable FDF option

Former Community Member
I have a .fdf code which i have created but it will not work for documents that I have created in livecycle 8.

I did a little debugging: found a sample fdf code and the corresponding pdf. I dropped the pdf in livecycle then saved it, then changed the fdf code to the name of the new pdf created from livecycle. When i try to execute the fdf code, it only shows the form without any values in the fields.

This leads me to believe that there has to be an option in Livecycle or Adobe Acrobat Professional which I have to enable on the pdf in order for this fdf code to work, any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 Replies

Level 7
>I have a .fdf code which i have created but it will not work for documents that I have created in livecycle 8.

That is correct. You would use XML files instead.

If you must work with FDF files you cannot use Designer, and must make

your forms in Acrobat. If you are working with an existing system,

that may be how it was set up, and Designer would do a one way

conversion to an incompatible world.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Since we have already made the forms I will need a work-around. Here is the situation that I have: The already made forms will be submitted to a server which will then be put in a database (already done this part) but ALSO the user can have the option to look at the PDF after it has been submitted. This is why I was using FDF in order to hold all the users information so the user can view their information in the PDF on the secure website. So my ultimate question is, is there an alternate way to hold the users information so I can recreate it on the server without using FDF or XFDF?

Level 7
Yes, you can use XML which does the same job (filling the form).

Aandi Inston

Level 7
By the way, redoing the forms in Acrobat could well be the quickest

option, rather than server development...

Aandi Inston

Level 7
Another reply: note that you cannot email the XML and have it open as

an FDF used to. But it can be used on a web delivery.

Aandi Inston