Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to compress the PDF file?

Former Community Member
Whenever I use Designer to design my forms, the size is almost always bigger than converting from MS Word and use Acrobat to make the form. Is there a way to compress the form so the size is not too big? If so, what are the steps?
8 Replies

Level 7
Designer forms are likely to be bigger because they contain both a PDF

and an Acrobat form. If you don't need the features of Designer forms,

and do want the smallest forms, consider using Acrobat forms.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Okay, what are the feature differences in Designer forms and Acrobat forms? I guess I'm a little confuse as to Designer form contains both PDF and Acrobat form. When I look at the extension of the file, it said ".PDF" like any other PDF file I've seen or downloaded. The only difference is the huge size. So what are advantages of having an Acrobat form and a PDF within a PDF?

Level 7
>I guess I'm a little confuse as to Designer form contains both PDF and Acrobat form.

Sorry, that was confusing. I meant to say, contains BOTH an XML form,

and a PDF form. The XML form is what Designer is based on; Designer

forms are ideal if working in an XML workflow. The PDF form is what

you see on screen, and what prints. Acrobat has to make both copies

and keep them in sync with each other.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
I tried the Save As... and the size remain the same.

Former Community Member
Try SAVE AS and on the screen uncheck embed fonts. This should help.

Former Community Member
Thanks, Aandi. That clears some confusion.

Carlson, I believed that by clearing the embeded fonts will lessen the file size but I don't think that is the solution. I have seen and use Acrobat to create files with embeded fonts and the size are not this big.

Former Community Member
Here's the comparison. The form that is created using Acrobat is 32KB and the form that is created with Designer 7 is 944KB. Both of these files have embeded fonts. The version created with Acrobat even have two boxes and the one created with Designer does not. Yet, the one created with Acrobat has a lot less in file size.