Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

How to bind schema form data to existing objects?

Former Community Member
I imported an existing PDF as my template and it make all the text, check boxes and text fields into objects - Great!

But now when I add a schema with my DB data field names I am unsure how to turn the existing objects on the form to the schema fields!!

Can anyone help?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Open the DataView where your schema is visually represented and simply drag and drop the schema item onto the object that you want to bind it to. If the bind is successful a little icon will appear in the DataView beside the node.

If you select on object in the form and click on the Binding tab, you will see an expression representing what you are bound to. You can also use the icon there to navigate to the appropriate node in the schema.

Former Community Member
Thanks for your help Paul,

I understand what you have told me and I will try it but I think another part of the problem is that the original field name and its text box have been turned into 2 seperate objects upon the PDF import process so how do I solve this issue in order to impliment your suggestion?

I need to merge these 2 seperate objects first I think But how?

Thanks!

Former Community Member
i just tried what you said to do and it was successful but now another version of the same exact object that I bound to has popped up on the screen which allows me to place anywhere on the page - but why did this happen if the bind to the object on the page was successful and how do I hide this new exact replica of the data field?

Level 4
Delete one of the versions, either the replica or the original. If you delete the replica, then go to the original field and go to the Object > Binding tab. In the Default binding find the name of the item in the schema you want to bind it to.

Hope this makes sense,

Tom

Former Community Member
I tried that and it doesnt work either - I posted my question in further detail and with more pics here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Page_Layout/Adobe_InDesign/Q_24074824.html