Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

How to allow Acrobat Reader to "Save As"?

Former Community Member
I have created a PDF with drop down menus, text fields, ect using LiveCycle 9. When I transfer the pdf to a different machine that just has "Acrobat Reader 8" on it, I get the caption on the top that reads:

"Please fill out the following form. You cannot save data typed in this form. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records."

I want people to be able to open the form, fill out the form and then "save as" so they can retain a copy of the form they have just completed and if need be edit the text fields they are able to type in at a later date.

Any help would be great.
7 Replies

Level 10
John,

Check out the Acrobat license. Using Adobe Acrobat Standard(?) or Professional you can "Extend Features in Acrobat Reader". This is intended for ad-hoc forms of no more than 500 users or uses (please check this out).

If this applies to you, then generate the form in LC and then open it in Acrobat and go to the Advanced menu and you will see the extend option.

Users with the Reader version will then be able to save the form.

Regards,

Niall

Level 2
I have done this as well, but we really want the users only option to be Save As. We don't want them to be able to chose Save, as we want to preserve the original form, in it's empty state. Is there a way we can do this?

Thanks,

Rosanne

Former Community Member
You can remove the Save option on the menu but this involves distributing a javascript (js file) to each machine. This also means that each time Reader/Acrobat is loaded that option will be removed.

Level 7
What would be the JS code to remove the Save option ?

Will this code remove the Save option from the toolbar and "File" menu ?

Thanks

Aditya

Former Community Member
Yes .....for all documents not just yours .....I do not recommend this solution.

Level 2
you could save your pdf as a read only as well