Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How can I connect to a different database schema,other than adobe?

Former Community Member
I'm building an application where I want to use a different database for it,for storing additional data for the users(different from "edcprincipaluserentity" table in "adobe" database stores)..How I can connect to my database schema created in MySQL from Workbench,to assign tasks to my users,using the Process Management/Assign Task service?
5 Replies

Level 10
You can only assign task to user that are known by the LiveCycle User Manager.

When you configure LiveCycle, you can tell it where you want to get the users from. They can be created them locally in the local database, or synchronized from an LDAP directory in which case it'll read the users from LDAP and make a copy of some of the properties to the internal LiveCycle database.

Bottom line, all users have an id (in the edcprincipalentity table) in the adobe database.

If you need your users to come from a different database, then you need to customize the SPI (security provider interface) so that you can synchronize the users coming from your external database. Again, this is a customization since out of the box, we don't synchronize against external database. But it is possible, the API is there and other customers have done it.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Jasmin

Level 9
Hi Aikaterini

Can you explain in more detail exactly what you're trying to achieve.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
@Jasmin

Thanks Jasmin,that clarifies things a little bit,but where can I find the SPI in oder to customize it?

@Howard

Hi Howard,

I am trying to build a web application in which I must store different user info from the ones stored in adobe database,and I want the users to login first to a web page created for the application and second to LCES

for assigning tasks to them..Picture a database for a company with its employees,clients and its procedures..The employees must first be authorised by the additional database and then from LCES,because I want to use them in Workbench..Am I making any sense?

Thanks,

Aikaterini

Level 9
There are a couple of ways you could do this, I think:

1. Make the root source for both the LC database and the company database the same LDAP system. Then both products would be effectively using the same data. This may not be possibe for you.

2. Develop an SPI that obtains user information from your custom database, rather than from the usual LDAP.

You can find API info here:

You will find some sample code for building an SPI in the samples directory of your LiveCycle installation.

When you configure a directory in adminui, there is a checkbox to indicate that it uses a custom SPI.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
Hi Howard

Could you please rewrite where I could find API info?

Thanks in advance,

Aikaterini