Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help!!! data in fields does not save - 2nd Request

Former Community Member
Created a form in Livecycle, Opened in Acrobat 8 Pro, enabled usage rights in Reader. To test a form after filling in the fields, I save it - email it - then all of the data except the signature and a checked checkbox is gone. Help!

Located at http://liztapaneswebdesign.com/bius/Fixed_Asset_Disposition_v2_forum_reader.pdf
9 Replies

Former Community Member
Liz - have you checked to ensure your text fields' binding are set to "normal"? If not, your information will not save.

To check: select your text fields. Click the Object tab > Binding tab > Look for "Default Binding (Open, Save, Submit)". Select "Normal" on the drop down list.

Hope this is your solution!

Level 2
also, you have to publish the document as well, in order for it to save your text fields.

Former Community Member
Gretchen - thanks - I will work with your suggestions and post the result soon...

Kim - Yes - I created the doc in Livecycle, then went to File>Publish to Repository, correct?

Former Community Member
I am also having a problem saving the data in PDF forms.

I created a form using LiveCycle Designer. If I open the published/distributed form on my computer I am able to save the form and the data. My husband also has no problem on his computer (he also has Adobe 8 professional). However, when others without Adobe 8 professional open the form they receive a message that the data in this form cannot be saved and they must print the completed form (they have Adobe Reader 7.0).

I have tried using the Publish to Repository and the Distribute Form (save and send later) options. Neither solve my problem.

My goal is to create a form that can be saved by the user and uploaded to a facilitator in an online course once completed.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Former Community Member
As far as I understand, for saving purposes, Publishing to Repository is an unnecessary step. ALL forms, in order to have their data saved, MUST BE "enabled" (Reader rights enabled), which can only be done using Acrobat Professional 8.0. Here are the steps:

Finish/save your form in Desinger - remembering that your text fields must have their binding set to normal as noted above. (You can close or minimize the program to lessen the confusion).

Open Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 (NOT Reader!) and open the form you just created/saved in Designer.

Select Advanced>Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader.... It will then prompt you to save the form and go through the enabling process. At this point, you've enabled your form to allow the user to save their data. You can test this by closing out Professional and opening it through Reader and trying to save. Good luck!

Former Community Member
Suppose I have downloaded a form that gives me the warning (with 7.0 Reader) that I cannot save any fill-in I do, but can only print.

Is there a version of Adobe I can buy that will let me fill-in and save. That is, can I override the protection that was specified by the creator of the pdf?

Former Community Member
Bob - if you're looking to save your data, you'll need to have/purchase Acrobat Professional 8.0 (no less). Version 8.0 has allowed a user the ability to save their form information by enabling rights (mentioned in the above postings). Without Professional, you'll be unable to save your PDF data with just Reader. A PDF MUST be rights-enabled first.

As far as overriding protection, you'll be unable to physically change their form if it's password protected. Designer (which comes with Professional) will allow you to create and modify a PDF-form (it's what's used to create forms).

Former Community Member
I have Adobe Professional 8. The problem I am having is someone sent me a diagram drawn on Adobe. But when I try to export it to a word document I get the following error. I can't figure out how to solve this one. Thanks for any advice.<br /><br />Acrobt was unable to make this doucment accessible because of the following error:<br />Bad PDF; could not read page structure, <Bad PDF, error in processing fonts: unsupported Type 2 font>[1]

Former Community Member
Nora - can you copy the image once you have it open? Can you try Saving-As (like a jpg or a tiff)? Try saving it first as something other than a pdf and then reopening it through word (you may need to Insert, rather than Open).

Still have issues, email me directly at: gretchen.payne@wch-rcc.com.